Spain, Benalmadena

Kris Fraser

Reaction score
hi, i am going on holiday to Benalmadena, spain. im thinking about bringing my fishing rod, am wondering if anyone has fished hear or another spannish shore?

David Craine

Reaction score
Main tactic seems to be small hooks, using ragworm purchased from the local tackle shops.. Spanish Shore Anglers use much lighter gear than we do here in the UK, going down to size 4 or 6 hooks, fished at distance ... they do not seem to have the big fish much within casting range,they do sometimes catch reasonable Bass, but mostly smallish stuff.... another thing they do is to fish for Squid , mostly at night, using a Squid lure under a float,close in, they use a lamp to attract the quid, sometimes really catching bucket loads.
The next time I go I will only take a travel rod that breaks down into about 2 feet sections, and has an action of about 3lb TC or less,and about 11-12 feet long, coupled with a decent fixed spool, loaded with 12lb line.

Kris Fraser

Reaction score
ok, i am thinking about using a lure, what size of hook do you think il need and how heavy should the line be?

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
The middle of the harbour is rammed with mullet ...... but you can't fish it .
I fished the harbour mouth with bread /mashed bread on light float gear on a 7'telescopic rod and had mullet and dogtooth bream. Nothing too serious and easy to stash in the suitcase

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
It was probably 8's , make sure they're strong and sharp.

In Benidorm I watched a local catch several bream on chunks of orange flesh .... I kid you not!!