The Quick-Change Banded Hair Rig

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I have been used this rig recently to great effect, thank you for posting it up Graham, I thought somebody else must have thought of it before me.

Makes fishing pellets a breeze.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Works great for using Chum Mixer or similar when floater fishing, using a very short hair.

F

Fred Bonney

The biggest problem I have,with my big mits,is tying the loop!

C

Cakey

get a loop tool fred ...........mines superb

gardener I think

W

Wolfman Woody

I have a looptyer from Seymo. Only works with overhand loops, figure-8 loops don't work so well.

C

Cakey

I have problems still with bands ........they go "off " after a while if I forget to lub them

P

pugwash

cant get my head around bait bands always have visions of the baits coming off.. sorry .i,ll stick to the good old bait needle.
and CAKEY thought that would have been a bit to technical for you mate

F

Fred Bonney

Now,now Woody,don't complicate things.
I'll have a look and see,if I can get hold of one.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
And I thought I was being clever! I use the rig at GV and usually use 2 x 11m pellets. 1st one is drilled and goes on as normal followed by the 2nd which is banded.

(This is a great leap forward for me as I only discovered what a hair rig is less than 3 years ago!!! - "Catching on a bare hook, I ask you, who you trying to kid?")

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Gardner, works for me.

One minor issue, when using 2 x pellets (hard), the constant threading of the 1st one using a needle often causes abrasions on the band. It needs replacing fairly often.

Now for the stupid bit!

When using 2 x pellets on the hair, I am now convinced I catch more fish when I thread the 1st on lengthways and band the 2nd sideways (am I making sense?). It definately, positively outscores 2 pellets hair rigged normally using a bait stop!!!

Again, it works for me!!

Dave Dowding 4

Reaction score
An excellent rig and i have found the same as Neil on the double bait idea, i am using dumbell type boilies at the moment as the fish in my local water have seen most things and i have found that this rig is ideal for threading one dumbell lengthways and one cross ways and am certainly having more success than single bait.
The only thing i can put it down to is the fact that the irregular shape this combination makes up means it is a lot harder for the fish to eject cleanly?

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

I use "no snag "hair bands from Claire's shops. They are stronger than latex ones...cheap as well.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Orthodontic bands. strech to a wide open mouth or as little as a cm. The things are amazing.

B

Big Rik

The only thing i can put it down to is the fact that the irregular shape this combination makes up means it is a lot harder for the fish to eject cleanly?

An old carper once wrote an article a few years back about irregular hook bait shapes.

C

Cakey

it was always a problem getting loose feed out but with todays pva bags baitboats etc its a lot easier so no excuse not to give irregular shaped baits ago (Im thinking of boilies in the main)