Fish thefts

Robbie H

Reaction score
Hi all,

The fish thefts by 'illegals' is to be discussed soon on the Jeremy Vine show. Might be worth a call?

Rob

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

The programme started off well with an outline of the problem, MP Salter and the Chairman of Milton Keynes Anglers put their respective points of view. Both of which were broadly similar? ?It?s happening and is a growing problem.?

Several women then gave their experiences about seeing Eastern Europeans taking ducks, swans and other water birds.

The usual Headbangger comments were read out e.g. Why go fishing for something, only to throw it back and not kill it to eat.

Then Vine allowed the programme to be hijacked by the veggie anti-angling faction and turned it into a cruelty issue.
The point of the programme was not about cruelty or not of angling, but about the theft of fish from UK waters and the damage that this is doing to the whole ecosystems of the waters where it happening.

The last comment was from a Polish guy who you must have some sympathy, for as he felt under siege, as he fished for sport only (the UK way) and because of his accent was treated as a thief and a Pariah when out fishing.

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
Just caught the last 20 minutes of the show. anyone else here it?

Lots of anti's moaning that fishing should either be for the table or not at all. What these morons fail to realise is that there wont be any fish left if they keep eating them, just like the problems that they are experiencing in Poland.

There was also one Carp fisherman on there trying to make a point that it's not that easy to catch Carp as it takes him days to catch a fish and if the guest workers from EE were so good at catching carp then they would be sponsored by the likes of Shimano. What he doesn't understand is that the fish are being netted and speared as well as caught by rod and line. That doesn't take any skill at all!

And yes I have proof of this. Visit the lake at the back of Stephenson way in Corby any time of the day and witness it for yourselfs! Try approaching the culprits and you will be attacked!

paul martin 7

Reaction score
You don't have to convince me David, I have several posts on the subject, unfortunately anglers you havent seen it dismiss it as exaggeration or say '' its their tradition'' or some other b*llocks.

I think it's now time for a complete ban on taking any coarse fish from either rivers or lakes, end of.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Personally I think the fishermen involved were slightly naieve if they thought they might get there point across without the nutters turning it round on us .Dont give em an inch or they will take a yard .

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
I do agree with some of the comments, it is tradition in Land locked Eastern European countries to eat coarse fish (Yuk!) but when in Rome do as the Romans do! so to speak.

Maybe more supermarkets should sell fish like Carp that have been bread purely for eating? I noticed a 5lb Mirror carp laid out next to the Salmon in our local Morrisons a few months back. Not seen any in there since. But then, why pay for it when they can go and steel it for free with no consiquencies.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

For anyone who missed the show there is a link to the BBC listen again service on the NAFAC site
http://www.nafac.co.uk/nafacnews/

It is truly an excellent web site for all current fisheries and angling issues/information.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

"But then, why pay for it when they can go and steel it for free with no consiquencies"

David, subject to the relevant fishery rules and local by-laws the taking of a carp for the table is not theft.

The discussion makes it clear that seeking to preserve fish stocks solely for catch and release angling would be an own goal of fairly large proportions.Thereafter any debate as to the prohibiton of fishing would be on the narrow ground of the cruelty issue alone.To many non-anglers and not just antis,the person catching a fish for their family is more understandable than the person who catches it and then returns it to try and catch it again another day.

paul martin 7

Reaction score
Yes it's not theft (but should be) but any amount? Does anyone here seriously think these people would only keep their allowed quota of say 2 fish and put the rest back? Get real!

Personally I think the general public don't care whether we let the fish go or not, they just think we are all a little odd, well good, they will just let us get on with it.

It has already been debated and discussed on the cruelty issue alone and the vast percentage of the population think fishing isn't.

When they see and hear stories of people using spear guns, nets or any other means of killing fish then that's when they will see it as cruel, not when they are returned safely.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Whether the limit is 2 ,none or 200, the cruel fact is that there is no-one on the vast majority of waters to enforce whatever law is in place.Given recent events I suspect the issue is even lower on the EA agenda than it was last month.

On private fisheries it is down to the owner and there is no need for any change of law to allow that.The Theft Act 1968 is quite sufficient.

We can all jump up and down for new laws thinking we are taking positive action but with no one to enforce them it is pointless.Far better to invest time and energy in measures such as education etc that have some hope of working.

Paul, your complaceny on the wider issue of the strength of the anti's position worries me.

paul martin 7

Reaction score
Nigel, I stand by the point I made earlier, let's have a total ban on coarse fish being taken from any water. Then there will be no confusion across the board. There's no need for it. To say people still need to eat these fish is ludicrous, that is our sport they are taking away, let them go to tescos like I do.

I am not complacent at all, I just think because of the problems with the Eastern Europeans it is bad publicity for fishing in general. That's why we need to stop this problem before it gets worse.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

I fear this thread is drifting the way the programme went e.g. into the realms of cruelty or not.
It wasn?t relevant there and ain?t on here.
It?s about stock being taken, stock in the main we have paid for by club fees (stillwaters) or rod licence money (rivers) by people who have no or very little right to do so.

What is need is a standardisation and clarity, nationally, about what is permissible or not.
Each region has different regs and I deify anyone without reference to them, to tell me what they are in their area, because I couldn?t tell you what they are in my region.

Through a national Std. we would all then know, and collectively could put pressure on the policing agencies to enforce them.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

"What is need is a standardisation and clarity, nationally, about what is permissible or not.
Each region has different regs and I deify anyone without reference to them, to tell me what they are in their area, because I couldn?t tell you what they are in my region.

Through a national Std. we would all then know, and collectively could put pressure on the policing agencies to enforce them"

I agree completely Phil.The present by-laws on this issue and others are a b...... muddle.

With respect Paul, Phil is not calling for a total ban in what he writes above although that may be his position.I agrree there should be a uniform limit applicable in all arreas but this falls well short of a total ban.

What would you propose about deadbaiting or livebaiting Paul?If a total ban applied in the interests of conservation it would surely be preverse to allow an exception for these activities?Good law has to based on principle not the convenience of anglers.

alan

Reaction score
To say people still need to eat these fish is ludicrous, that is our sport they are taking away, let them go to tescos like I do.

they might not have any choice soon, the way people kill and take fish from the sea there will be none left soon. with your comment you wont be ending the problem just shifting it on to someone else. but as long as "your" sport is safe, who cares about the sea anglers sport.

the mass taking of fish at the moment is a problem, but whats wrong with the odd 1 or 2 occasionally? at the end of the day they are fish, they are good for you, why not eat them?

P

pugwash

don't have a problem with people sealing fish to eat where i come from the problem we have is people sealing fish to put in there own club and private waters.as for people eating carp there are plenty of shops and supermarkets that sell carp including morrisons .there are thousands of recipes connected to carp it was originally introduced in the uk for food and i don't have a problem with people eating them as long as they are farm breed for food the simple fact if people take any fish from waters in england they are breaking the law and should be report, there is a fine of up to ?2.000 by the NRA this also apply s to receiving stolen fish . if you see them report them...

paul martin 7

Reaction score
Alan, I also sea fish mate, what is your point. You just said sea fish are getting scarce so you want people to eat coarse fish? There should be a severe cutback in commercial fishing to let the stocks recover. The sea anglers themselves were partly to blame, the times ive seen a sea match then everything is dumped in a wheelie bin afterwrads. It doesnt happen so much now thank god.

The ''odd 1 or 2 occasionally'' as you put it becomes 1 or 2 hundred in no time. Some fisheries have already been decimated from cormorants and now this problem! As you said fish taking is a problem and we are letting it happen. Soon there wont be any bloody fish left for us to catch.

If you could see the pollution in the river near me you would think twice about eating fish from it, except if you weren't from here of course.

davie

Reaction score
ive seen the theft of fish from the lake in corby with my own eyes and did approach one of them in a nice friendly manner only to have them threaten me,,i made a few phone calls on the mobby but by the time the boys had massed and were ready to try a different approach the foreign speaking chaps had jumped into a van and drove off..a wise decision i thought.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Apparently, the Environment Agency Press Office in Peterborough recently told BBC reporters (when the Agency declined an invitation to take part in a broadcast from Drayton) that claims of 'fishing for the pot' have been overstated and that the real problem lies with 'organized gangs' of fish stealers.