Korda Lead clip rig help

Carpless

Reaction score
I've been trying to use these clips for a while but am having trouble with them. Basically when i test them the swivel pulls out from the casing before the lead gets pulled out and dumped. Thats all well and good if i've already lost the fish because it can get rid of the lead clip with lead intact, but if it snags while i'm still on the other end am i right in saying the lead should dump before the swivel comes loose?

Also in saying that if only the lead is snagged and you are pulling against it the swivel should be held in the casing by the tight line from it to the rod. But that would angle the lead the opposite direction from where you put it on and where it should come off so surely you couldn't pull the lead free? Assuming that then you would need to take the pressure off and let the fish pull the lead free. In which case the lead would need to come free before the swivel so you don't just get line running through the snagged lead clip right? So there would be my problem. The swivel comes out before the lead. I'm using the korda lead clips with the korda size 8 swivels. A 1.5oz lead with large eye swivel (I've also used a small eyed one). Also using the korda rubbers and sink tubing so everything should work.

Any ideas whats going wrong? Also tell me if i'm talking nonsense behind the theory. Cheers

malc donaldson

Reaction score
i bought some of these for the first time last week Poult ..havnt used them yet but if they are this troublesome then i will stick to running ledger

Dave Dowding 4

Reaction score
i hope this helps a bit as i do not have a great deal of experience with the safety clip set up, preferring running leads myself.
On one of our local waters there are a few swims that are always chokka with weed but they produce the fish.
The locals tend to cut the male part of the 'Korda' clip back (but not the bit you hook the lead onto)bit by bit until they are happy with the pull required to jettison the lead without pulling the swivel out as you mention.

Carpless

Reaction score
Dave, are you sure it isn't the bit you clip the lead onto, cause i've just learned thats the thing that comes out. Its the upwards force of the rod that pulls the clip up and therefore pulls the clip arm down and free's the lead. The rubber doesn't move apparently. Theoretically it should work even if the swivel does get removed because you pull the swivel back up next to its case anyway. I notice it unclips alot better when the "fish" ( or what i have the hook attached to at the moment) is above the lead. So much for not answering my own questions... Cheers for the help

Dave Dowding 4

Reaction score
Hi mate
just like me to confuse the issue more ;-)
all i can really tell you is how the local lads showed me, apparently by cutting the ridged section back slightly it lowers the friction (less ridges)gripping on the tail rubber which allows it to come away easier depending how far back you cut it. The piece you hook your lead on apparently doesnt add to the friction as it is smooth so is left uncut also as you cut the ridged piece back the bottom piece relies more on the rubber to hold it in rather than the ridged bit, but i would say there are limits to how far you can cut it back when casting. but as i say this is only what i was shown not what i have tried but it certainly seems to work for them as most times they are landing the fish through the weed minus the lead.

Carpless

Reaction score
Ah ok. Well i'm confident i've got em working now anyway, time to find myself a snag and give it a go. Just kidding, i'm not that mad...

W

Wolfman Woody

"But that would angle the lead the opposite direction from where you put it on and where it should come off so surely you couldn't pull the lead free?"

Good observation there, Poult. Not sure what the answer is to that one.

I don't use the swivel, but a Gemini snood clip instead is attached to the mainline and this is sleeved in silicone tubing. It tucks into the lead clip, but comes out so easily it sometimes comes out on the cast.

Should I ever have a mainline break (can't remember the last one when carp fishing) I know that the Gemini clip will pull out of the lead clip very easily. I am now wondering why I bother with the lead clip except that it does make it easier to change the size of lead.

InteraX

Reaction score
Guys,

I've been using lead clips for a few months now.

Ususally I use the pre-tied ESP ones.

Just this past week, I decided to start tying my own. With the Korda clips, the swivel is supposed to 'snap' into the clip housing. This in my mind just doesn't seem safe. With the ESP ones, they don't rely on it snapping into the housing, instead requiring a small plastic bar to go through the housing into the rear eye of the swivel. There's some direct blocking going on there instead of just the housing edge.

The other day, speaking to one of my local tackle shops when I was in there, the guy behind the counter was saying that his customers had complained about Korda and Fox lead clips. The Korda one's were holding the lead too much and the Fox one's hardly held the lead so that it fell off almost every bite. He recommended the ESP ones.

InteraX

Reaction score
Also, Danny Fairbrass says in the underwater video's you should always damp the male part of the clip beofre putting on the sleve to stop it jamming up and also to not push the rubber on fully. Bad design there?

Reaction score
All probably true! Wre a good design when nobody else was making them and before we know what further problems we were going to face. I could never get them to perform consistently, even with moistening the tail rubber or clipping the ridged section.

I have since moved on to Armaled, where the swivel housing bit of the clip is hinged. The swivel is placed with the body and the top ring actually inside the housing which then clips shut around it. The swivel doesn't move then! However, I would only use these for short to medium distance as it does dump the lead very easily. I am happier with a modified helicopter rig for really big chucks.

Carpless

Reaction score
"But that would angle the lead the opposite direction from where you put it on and where it should come off so surely you couldn't pull the lead free?"

Good observation there, Poult. Not sure what the answer is to that one.

Well like I say i think the idea is that the lead pulls down and off the clip as opposed to the rubber sleeve coming off. Thats all well and good if it is snagged deep and in close because you can pull up on the clip but if out far you can hardly get the upwards force to pull it off and instead you are pulling the opposite direction and forcing the swivel from the lead into the strongest part of the clip. This must make it hard for the lead to come off as InteraX said. Alot of the reservoir i fish is mostly gravel with a few weed beds but the dam end is choked in weed and fishhing really well at the moment. I don't know if i want to take the risk with the Korda clips.

I am now wondering why I bother with the lead clip except that it does make it easier to change the size of lead.

You won't be saying that when you dump a lead and land your P.B. Carp. :)

F

Frothey

but how do you know you wouldnt've landed it with it on? its common knowledge that you cant land a weeded carp if the leads attached...... funny we didnt really have the problem pre-lead clips, and its not as if lead clips guarantee you landing a weeded fish either.

think of all that money sitting on the bottom of lakes.....!

if i though it was a problem, i'd use a weak link - at least i know it'll work properly.

Carpless

Reaction score
Fair point. I suppose its like most things, you can't guarantee that a particular bait or method will work but you try to give yourself the best possible chance of catching. You can't guarantee that the lead clips will land you a fish but they claim to give you the best chance. Haven't actually snagged one yet so i wouldn't really know. Out of interest what lead method do you usually use frothey?

P

pugwash

bad reports all round for korda recently change you make of clip

F

Frothey

but they claim to give you the best chance

they (remembering the origionators were lead manufacturers) would claim that wouldnt they? LOL!

thats my "concern" - to have them set up so they actually do their job, you are going to lose so many leads its unreal. and i'm not sure it makes much difference anyway, you still end up with weed arounf the swivel and that in turn creates a big ball of weed - fish still get weeded up when freelining.....

i do use them totally cut down, but only as a last resort and even then I've got to wonder whether i should be fishing the spot....

if you are going to use them, you have to make sure the clip stays attached to the swivel, if it runs it wont dump the lead properly.

mind you, do like the look of the rig marole ones....

NEIL MANSELL

Reaction score
are you pulling the clip onto the swivel far enough you have to pull it onto the swivel until you hear a click. that thenmeans the swivel has gone over the little "bump" which holds the swivel in place

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Add a little bit of 15lb line to the side of the swivel to make the swivel a tighter fit.

F

Frothey

drill a little hole through the clip with a bait drill, and tie it in

F

Frothey

i'm not paying extra for a hole..... polo's are a rip off /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif