White Shark Farce

honslow

Reaction score
Never a white shark in a million years. Shocking journalism by The Sun (again!). Porbeagle if anything and then the usual obligatory blunt dorsal fins of basking sharks.
What's a white shark supposed to eat in the bloody channel for God's sake? Schoolie bass? And if there was a great white out there people would be fishing for them! Please tell me no-one is!?

T

The Monk

Oh errr, right, I`d better put the great white optonics away then!

Chevin

Reaction score
Yeah, the report I saw here in Oz was that it was considerd to be too big to be a basking shark therefore it was a white pointer! I think that they got things the wrong way round!

Beecy

Reaction score
I agree, shocking journalism

It wouldn?t surprise me if either if they were lying about the location the sightings have been made in :)

honslow

Reaction score
You use bite alarms while shark fishing Monk?!?

T

The Monk

I use bite alarms for everything mate, even taking a shower, what I know about shark fishing you could put on a first class stamp

njb51

Reaction score
Greg, I've just bought and scanned through this weeks AT.

I want my ?1.50 back.

T

The Monk

That much, Monk?

well not quite but I`ve watched Jaws a few times and could write a bit about that blonde bit on the beach

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Watched a documentary a few times. It was about boat anglers who swear they have seen a great white off the Cornish coast I think.
Realistically what are the chances of one appearing in our waters?

captain carrott

Reaction score
was that the henry gilbey one back in about 2001/2 he swore he'd seen one off falmouth didn't he?

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Why anyone should be astounded that a Great White may or may not have be seen in UK waters now, in the past, or the future, I really can?t fathom.

GWs are distributed in all the world?s oceans, some having more than their fair share than others. British waters during the summer months in particular fit into the temperature zone (12 - 24c) that is known to be conducive for their survival.

It also has 2 endemic species of seal present all year round, one of which, the common seal consists of 40% of the world population. Added to that it has 3 others that are frequent visitors.
Given that it?s know that seals are one of its preferred foods and they are reasonably plentiful in UK waters, why shouldn?t they during the summer and their global travels not visit its shores?

Why should they be seen off Cornwall Coast and English Channel?
Well, it?s known that the Mediterranean Sea has them in, and the endemic species of seal (Monk seal) to that sea is bordering on the edge of extinction.

So any creature leaving that sea in its search for preferred food, might well follow the warm summer Gulf Stream water drift past Portugal, France and find itself off the Cornish Coast, where it would encounter the sent of grey seals that frequent that coast. It might even encounter the sent of the largest colony of common seals in the UK, which are situated on the Wash.

For me that is entirely feasible and likely possibility and I?d bet it probably happens far more times that we imagine.