Pole Fishing from the Beginning ? Part 2

W

Wolfman Woody

Nice series, Peter, well done.

This does bear witness to the fact that you do seem to be accident prone. Runaway vehicles, slipping on platforms, losing the top 4....?

Question for you though, how would you pull free from a snag without hand-lining? I have heard of a ring being used, sliding it to the float and pulling for a break. Is this the one you employ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, it is pretty difficult to put into words what you do on the bank, or in preparation isn't it!

Accident prone?
Well, after 3 divorces you could say that, whereas I couldn't possibly comment ;-)

In my defence I would add that those accidents (the fishing related ones at least) were several years apart.

I've not used the ring method, but I understand that it is a modern 'update' on the old Otter principle that we used to use in days gone by - remember those things?

I prefer to make a pull to the side if hopelessly entangled and with a weaker hooklink that will always break first.

edited because I can't spell "udnertstand"

Michael B

Reaction score
Sellotape a fag that has been lighten to somebody elses pole, ship it out and put it on the line.. Ive never tried it but ive heard of it being done :)

L

Laurie Harper

If I'm really snagged fast on the pole, I find casting a bomb on 6lb+ line and snagging the pole line below the float enables me to free it, usually by breaking the hooklength.

barry dix

Reaction score
As I'm new to fishing the pole, yes I know where have I been hiding for the last 10 years! I'm really enjoying readingPeter's tips on the technique so I'm looking forward to part 3.