The Catfish Fish-in 2007

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

It's taken a day or so longer than we thought but here's the catfish fish-in write-up. It's taken longer then we thought because it's nearly 10,000 words! That's the equivalent of about 10 standard length articles. Monica has done most of the editing with a little help from me.

M

Monica Stylli

Yes, sorry for the delay chaps - you lot like to tell your stories well don't you?! ;)

Hats off to Graham who clearly works hard to get all your articles up on the site :)

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
A big thanks to you both and the rest of the fishing magic team....i suppose we all take it for granted that this website/computer stuff is an absolute doddle to run and manage.
Obviously it isn`t and a lot of hard graft goes into it all....many thanks again.

I can`t wait for next years shindig!!!!!

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers G and Monica.. it was a big article (sorry!), n youve done a good job of getting it up so quick, despite the delays and troubles we had through emails to G..

Thanks again guys

C

Cakey

Well done all sounds like you had a good time without me and Mr Shimano..............................................I'll be back

Reaction score
Some of the best bits were left out otherwise Graham would have had a article twice as long !
Take Steaker ( please ) , he would make Deanos look slim , in fact i had a walk around to have a grunt, sorry i mean`t talk with him and he had a run on a rod ,have you ever seen a man try to hit a run with his chair stuck to his arse ?
At the bbq he was just a unsociable git ,bag of chicken bits and a crate of lager ,sitting on his own in a corner ,couldn`t get a word out of him ,mind you that was a good point when it came to the photo ,he would have cracked the camera lens with his snarl .

When i first met Christian i thought he was a nice young lad but it seemed a bit odd that he had a machete hanging from his belt but as i understand it his mother wouldn`t let him have a earring so this was the 2nd choice ?????

Reaction score
One of the high points of the weekend ,apart from the normal stuff was the " The Great Fire Of Beaver Fishery " .
Between Matty`s swim and mine there was a corner swim and behind this swim stood the proud bailiff`s hut ,a knackered shed really ,some time on saturday this chap turned up with two young boys , "oh joy " i thought , still with two youngsters in tow he will only fish the day.
WRONG ,two bivvies,beds , chairs ,gear all over the place ,then the girlfriend turns up ,flash softtop moter ,a skinny blond dressed for shopping not fishing.
This bloke is fishing this small swim with 4 rods and bloody grat pit reels,the swim is no more than 30ft x45ft.
At some point they decide to have a cup of tea ,he lights the small gaz stove and some how it flares up big time he then throws or kicks it away ,lucky for them ,it then exploads and nobodys hurt but it has caught the bailiff shed alight.
Being the hero that i am i ran towards the shed and past it,(i`m not that silly) and got hold of the bailiff but the time we got back this bloke had put it out .

Reaction score
Cakey this guy and his mob were the circus , in fact he was the chief clown .
After the great fire the girlfriend gets into her moter and shoots off, i`m thinking to get a new stove but no ,she brings back about ?40 worth of takeaways but nothing to make a cup of tea on ,such logic.
The next morning i`m on my way back from the loo`s and have to go through thier swim to get to mine ,gear still all over the place , the girlfriend said to me " are you going to make us breakfast then ?" to which my reply was " not ?$%& likely ,go to the cafe ."

At some point this guy had a run on one of his four rods and starts shouting for help , Chris had gone over to see what was what ,she had to point out to him that he had hooked a small jack pike of about 4 lb ,what a plank .
After Matty had caught his first carp this guy borrows Mattys spod rod and starts spodding bits to the far margins in his swim ,the far margins in his swim were.........30ft away ,still it gave me a laugh .

C

Colin North, the one and only

Thanks the FM team for putting it all together. Thanks to Matty for organising it and collating all the contributions.

I ought to point out that the picture of me allegedly holding a catfish is, of course, me holding the 13lb ghostie carp. I suppose it is pointing out the obvious to most people.

Les, that guy in the corner swim with the exploding gaz stove had more gear than Sue and I put together, notwithstanding Nick's observations in the article that we had more gear than a tackle shop. I'd go shopping more often if girls got dressed like his girlfriend for the purpose, but I am a bit of an old perv.

Les -v- Steaker, so far, Les on points but still awaiting Steaker's counter-punch.

Reaction score
Hi colin ,there was something dodgy about that bloke ,he had 4 rods out,was there the best part of 2 days ,should have cost him the best part of ?80 but some how i don`t think so ,plus the fact that Steaker was charged ?60 but there was only ?50 on his receipt and am i right in saying it was the same on yours & Sue`s ?
A bit of a smell there apart from the rotting fish by the bailiffs hut !
Steakers counter punch ? When they let him out of the rehab i think i`m in for a right old kicking .
The only Person that pi**ed me off was the lanky Tosspot of a bailiff who would`nt let us load up from the lakeside ,apart from the fact that it states clearly on the fishing pemit that you can load and unload on Snipe & Tuscany .
The only thing that i have forgotten to mention is the cafe ,very basic,very old style working mens type cafe ,you don`t want to look too closely into the kitchen ,not if you are going to eat there ,but the food wasn`t to bad ,apart from the bacon which was put into the pan and taken out in the same movement ,it will never get 3 stars or even minus 3 but you will live .

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I was too busy letching at the leggy blonde behind the counter to notice the state of the kitchen!!!
Totaly forgot about the chap with the exploding cooker...when i heard the bang from my swim,i thought it was either a cannon going off or christian letting one rip!!!

C

Les, I just looked at our receipt and no, it hasn't got a bulls eye on it, it is actually for ?40. As you observe, something fishy seems to be going on.

Ominous silence from steaker de lurker!!!!!!!!

C

Hi Les, you're right there mate, worse than my socks after a hot day in the welly boots.

See you in October, at GV. Not sure yet if Sue can make it.

Colin