I need tips

A

Alex Kimber

Im new to match fishing i need to know what baits to use what specimens to fish for ,clothing,rigs, technique etc.

stikflote

Reaction score
best advice is to go with a mate and see what he does,
as for clothing ,any waterproofs or what ever you feel like wearing,as for specimens thats different again as for rigs its a very broad spectrum ,is this post a wind up

T

The Monk

yes you need to be a bit more specific really Alex, most match anglers appear to catch tiny fish which they call bits, I can only presume these are small roach, perch and gugeon etc, or maybe they are catcing tails, fins and eyeballs, I`m not sure what bit are. They also appear to use those long poles which create havock with tow path cyclists, not many match anglers fish for specimen fish, or certainly not what I would call specimens and as for clothing, well if the suns out and its red hot, forget the waterproofs and thick woolen pullovers, Gortex clothing is good for keeping the rsain off and for the colder months get yourself a one pice fleece suit as for techniques thats a real mine field, join a locsal club and attend meetings, get to know people, ask questions on the bank etc but try not to make a nusense of yourself, theres no quick fix I`m afraid, its a learning curve

Waveney One

Reaction score
The best piece of advice I can give is to join a local club and fish some of their matches. Congratulate them make them feel good the politely ask the people who do well in matches how they approached their swims, what baits, how much did they feed, what part of the peg did they fish etc. If you have buttered them up first they will be only too glad to tell you how wonderfully well they fished and how they did it!

By the way The Monk, match anglers win matches by catching the greatest total weight of fish from their peg over the period of the match. Sure, in some matches small fish are most likely to achieve that target especially as most matches are held during the worst part of the day for fishing. However, it would be a very poor and unsuccessful match angler if all they did was to fish for 'bits' all day every day. If there are large fish to be caught then the thinking match angler will go for them. In matches I have had bream to nearly 9lb, tench to 6lb, roach to 1lb 15oz, carp to 19lb 12oz and perch to just over 2lb. I certainly am not a specimen angler but there are plenty of pleasure anglers that would like to have a list of PB's looking like that!