Who has the right of way?

Reaction score
Lets's have a look at a likely scenario:

If I was coarse fishing for barbel in a peg where the water deepens just below a faster rockier stretch and a salmon angler comes wading into my peg, claiming he has some sort of right to be there then who has the right to stay and fish and who should move?

little oik

Reaction score
Depends on what size the guy is .How many crisp 50s he is holding out in his hand .If he has a young good looking wife etc . Or you could just borrow a baseball bat from another Barbel fisherman if none of the above are of any use to you

B

Berty

My answer was a serious reply!!! on some waters it is written into the rules that Game anglers have priority.

mol

Reaction score
Natural good manners would suggest the person fishing a section of water first has priority. I was always told 'manners maketh the man' but unfortunately manners do seem to be disappearing.

George387

Reaction score
depending on what river you are fishing and what rules they have, a Salmon angler has right of way over all other anglers, trout, Grayling, Barbel, coarse anglers it matters not.

terry m

Reaction score
I was not aware of salmon anglers having right of access/way over other anglers, seems like a tradition from days of yore that should be updated!

Some old duffer was spey casting opposite me on the Hants Avon today, but his activity did not interfere with my pike fishing.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Lets's have a look at a likely scenario:

If I was coarse fishing for barbel in a peg where the water deepens just below a faster rockier stretch and a salmon angler comes wading into my peg, claiming he has some sort of right to be there then who has the right to stay and fish and who should move?

does a club have fishin rights on this river or is the fishing free - ask him to wade ashore and show his club ticket if it's rented to a club

simon dunbar

Reaction score
By rights you should say " sorry your lordship " and leave the swim straight away , retreating backwards whilst doffing your cap.
But I would say " Oi posh mush ,this isn't the 1920's so get out of my swim!!"

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Royalty used to have such a rule (may still do, haven't been there for a while), most Salmon Anglers were quite polite and asked permission, they only fish a spot for a short time and moved on, didn't cause much of a problem and the eye watering amounts that they paid to fish made my Barbel fishing affordable!

Virtually no salmon in the Avon now so I suppose it's less of an issue.

A little bit of live and let live goes a long way.

Stu

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have met some nice country folk over the years (including so called toffs!) and most (yes including the toffs!) are very polite, but in these modern time we have a new breed of ''country gent'' on the scene, the city slicker!! These guys pay really silly money for a days sport and 99% of them are ignorant, selfish and down right rude, so if you get one of these chaps in your swim....SHOOT THE ******!!!

MARK

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 ----------

depending on what river you are fishing and what rules they have, a Salmon angler has right of way over all other anglers, trout, Grayling, Barbel, coarse anglers it matters not.

Its an unwritten law and personally I would just ignore it!!

we live in a modern world and its about time we got rid of all this ''them and us'' syndrome, its really pathetic!

Mark