Camouflaging your lead

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

To what length do you go to in order to camouflage your lead?

Glue sand on it, soak in a bucket of river water and slit?

Just use a plain lead - do you think this effects your results

little oik

Reaction score
For gods sake what with having differculty finding all my other realtree'd tackle .I even have just at great expense had all my rods spray finished in Duck egg blue :wh

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've fished the Rother for barbel and/or chub and caught on a plain lead - admittedly one that had had a lot of use, and never bothered with trying to mask it, but I've got some Stonze and might give them a go

mol

Reaction score
To my eyes an uncoat lead that has weathered is by far the hardest to spot.

TBH I'm not convinced that fish are put off just by a lead, a fish will be completely unaware of what a lead is or what it's actually used for. A bit of bait and patience goes further in building fishes confidence than fancy end tackle IMO

little oik

Reaction score
Didn't Bob Roberts do a bit on Barbel fishing with a bright blue plastic toy within inches of his bait and took footage of the results .Just wish he pops in to see this thread and explain the outcome of it all .

beerweasel

Reaction score
Just use a lead the same size and colour of a boilie, that will fool em. :eek:mg:
If leads spook them what about feeders and PVA string etc.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Here’s a few

Araldite gravel and or sand from the lake, river stream etc to your lead.

Araldite a snap swivel to a pebble or stone once dry from where you’re fishing and off you go.

Keep your leads in a tub/bucket of pellets this tones them down a little and makes them smell all lovely and pellety at least for a short while.

If you have some new shiny "camo leads" rub the paint down a little with some fine sanding paper.

Glue some of that fake weed stuff to them

Keep them in your garden pond, put yoghurt on stones etc they will soon look green enough and slimy.

Does it work....if it is a placebo effect or not, confidence is king.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Is it true that fish have a pea sized brain?

If not, carry on with spending so much on promotional, overpriced fools Gold

Graham

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Its a question of who has the pea sized brain surely"

When your cheese comes back bearing the imprint of a chub's lips; when your carefully shotted float rig fails to register a fish taking your maggot back to its throat teeth and skinning it; when a roach drops twenty yards downstream, holding station an inch from your trotted bread and not being tempted; at times like these, a bit of humility is called for, and we can only take refuge in the old saw about "It's not the size, it's what you do with it".
If one is too proud to cope with the prospect of being out-thunk by a fish, there's always golf, or rambling, or sitting in McDonald's, mumbling.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There was a lot of camouflaging fishing gear back to the early sixties. Most of the speci types of my aquaintance did it. Leads, rods, clothing, no doubt inspired by Walker and co.

Did it make any difference? Well with hindsight probably not, but there is a case to be made for ''none flash rods''. Especially if you are inclined to stalk fish.

little oik

Reaction score
Its a case of How good is the eye sight of fish ? Camo this and camo that and you are casting out 75yds plus .