New member intro

peterjg

Reaction score
Hi, they say what goes around comes around. As a kid I fished the Thames with my dad and in my 20s I caught a severe case of carp fever (30+ years ago) and now for the last few years have been trying for big roach (without a lot of success) mainly on the Thames.

maceo

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Peter.

Whereabouts are you fishing the old father? Upper, middle, tidal?

What's the biggest roach you've caught so far?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hello peterjg and welcome to FM - have you tried the Thames tributaries for roach? Possibly a better chance of a decent one once you get to know the (smaller) waters.
Jerry

peterjg

Reaction score
Dear all, many thanks for your welcome and questions.

For the last few years I've fished several parts of the middle Thames trying for big roach. I've fished mainly the reaches at Hurley, Marlow, Remenham, Cookham and the island at Penton Hook. Results, so far, have been very patchy with roach to over the pound at all places named. However; I've also blanked a lot. My best roach from the Thames came 35+ years ago in the field above Hambleton Weir when I fluked two roach in the same day, both weighing 2lbs 2ozs on floatfished casters. My best roach in recent years of 2lbs 8ozs came from a stillwater in December 2011 and I've managed two 2lbers from the river lea in the last three years but it's the Thames which really holds my interest. I'm hoping to share ideas and learn from you.

maceo

Reaction score
Whoa! Five two pounders eh?

I don't think there's very much I'm going to be able to teach you!

What's your best tactics? Hemp and caster?

Do you generally float fish or ledger?

peterjg

Reaction score
Dear Maceo, because I fish for carp in the summer and mainly roach fish in the colder weather I tend to leger more than float fish. I find that the bigger roach usually prefer a still bait. Unfortunately this means I catch bream as well by accident. Has anyone found a bait flavouring that roach like but bream hate? For instance mollasses and vanilla attract roach but unfortunately bream love it as well.