do you have a favourite float?

nicky

Reaction score
For a while i would say my favourite float was a still water blue with a shotting capacity of 2AA.

Do you have a favourite float and for what type of fish do you find it best for?

Beecy

Reaction score
John Allerton alloy stem sticks

used to have dozens but down to my last few now. Dont know what im going to do when i finally loose/break the last ones, ive got some made by brittania that are an almost identical copy but for some reason they just dont 'feel' as good

Beecy

Reaction score
a neighbour recently gave me some old tackle for my lad, amongst it was a float box with a load of porcupne floats, brought back memories

cant think of a situation where i might use one though

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Beecy,

the john Allerton floats are made by **** Cleggs company Brittania.

I get my floats from them.

Peacock quill. cheap

Beecy

Reaction score
the original allertons (i think) were being sold before **** clegg started the brittania brand. May have been made in the same factory, I dont know.

As i said, the brittania ones you can get now are an almost exact copy but the finnish is not as good. They seem a tad bigger for the same loading, may be due to a cheaper grade balsa being used and the stems come out or bend very easily

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have spoken to brittania, they made the original, it was a john Allerton design. I think him and **** fished for Barnsley blacks.
But it is the same company, but you are right there is a difference

C

Cakey

Ive a float thats 15 years old ,it looks like a bit of old stick
it has a hole all the way up the middle you thread it on your line and put a float stop either end put your floating crust on and away you go

Ive lost count of the number of carp Ive had using it but its superb
and I dont know whos make it was (the names worn off)

C

Cakey

thought Id share that with you while I eat me pasta then back to work

Beecy

Reaction score
They did both fish for Barnsley at that time

In truth Ray, the floats probably fish no different, its just one of those silly psychological things, the 'they dont make em like they used to' syndrome !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Favourite floats?

I have a couple of lovely Chris Lythe floats that I love to use when the conditions are suitable.

Otherwise most of my favourite floats are all pretty much of 'vintage' years.

The original John allerton floats were lovely but now fetch silly money on e-bay.

Beecy

Reaction score
another good well made range of floats where the Dam/Ian Heaps ones

I dont know who actualy made them, could have been drake, but they were an excellent finish. I had some stepped peakock insert wagglers that were my favorites.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Still make a few of my own, but getting the right materials is the problem. The stuff in the model shops is'nt as good/

Lord Paul

Reaction score
My favourite float is lodged in hanging from a tree at a local fishery after an over enthusiastic cast - the first 2 cast fell short of my intended mark - so I put a bit more effort in to the 3rd cast - I see it when ever I fish there - I bow my head in respect and shed a silent tear.

Tally Ho

Ps NO THE BLOODY BUTLER REFUSES TO WADE IN AFTER IT

E

Evan

My favourite and the most versatile I have ever used was when I was a kid and consisted of a six inch piece of thin cane (a little thicker than a cocktail stick) as the spine with a sliding rugby-ball shaped piece of cork body. Shot capacity about 3BB.

You didn't need any float rings, as you would just thread the line down through the cork body, then stick the spine back up through the hole, trapping the line, and then thread it down through the bottom ring on the bottom of the spine.

The real beauty of this little beauty, for those of you who are following me so far, is that you could vary the position of the body to wherever you liked on the cane, so as to give a whole range of float shapes / body styles / mechanics.

Slide it up top it looked and worked like a classic Avon. Down a wee bit and you had a Chubber. Down even further to near the bottom and you had a ducker, onion, bodied waggler or whatever you want to call that shape these days (still got an original hand written set of Billy Lane Duckers btw.... what they worth ?). Take the body off entirely and use with a float rubber and you had the lightest of cane margin floats as good as a porky quill any day.

I must have gone through hundreds of those floats as a kid, one after the other whenever the cork on the previous specimen split, broke up or wore so that it no longer gripped the cane sufficiently tightly. That was the one slight design defect - not v high quality cork.

I did recently try to whittle a replica but with no joy. Easy enough to replicate the central cane, but how do you shape cork ? impossible to cut cleanly with a hand knife and hopeless to sand..... is there some trick to cork shaping someone could let me in on please ?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
For cutting cork, wax the blade with a candle - frequently.
To cut rubber, should you ever need to, lube the blade with detergent or soap solution.
Cork blunts blades quickly; be prepared to change them quite often.