caster care

NIGE K

Reaction score
good morning all
i have a quick question when you buy your casters what do you get them in and whats the best way to keep them and how long for.
cheers nige

W

Wolfman Woody

Make sure they're pretty dry first because any wetness around them when they go in the fridge can cause burning on their delicate skins.

Put them in a poly bag, squeeze all the air out, and knot it up. Bung it in the fridge, low down near the fruit and veg. Even better if you wrap it in newspaper first as this prevents temperature variations as the fridge door is opened and closed and stops light getting at them.

That's the way I was taught in the late 60s early 70s when casters were king on the Trent.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
When i buy mine they come vacuum packed, this is done at the shop.
I keep mine for no more than 3 days in my bait frigde.

Paul C

Reaction score
I buy them bagged with most of the air squeezed out (good quality with all the dead stuff and skins removed). Kept fridged like this, they will be fine for 3 to 4 days.

If I buy more than I use for the session, I rinse them and find an airtight tub just big enough to hold them (the ones with 4 clips, one on each side are best). Once in the tub, I fold a sheet of two of damp newspaper and put it on top and fit the lid nice and tight, so they are well packed in. I then turn the tub upside down and put it in the bottom of the fridge.

Storing them this way, I've kept them and used them (and caught the same as normal) for 8/9 days from purchase.