UK Fishing Holiday

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Dear All,

A few friends and I have planned a 72hr carp fishing trip in the South East.
However, none of us have done this sort of thing before,m and we are all very un organised! :)

So, to anyone thats done long carping trips. What is essential for one that isn't for shorter sessions? BTW, it's planned in May,
????whether thats any help who knows????

Thank you for any info, the CMM

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I would write a list over a period of time and get your mates to write one too . then compare lists and you shouldn't forget anything...

united5

Reaction score
Beer, more beer, plenty of grub and a bit of fishing tackle

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Beerweasel,

I dont know what kind of carp fishing you do, but most carp anglers use a Bivvy and a bedchair! I dont know any carp angler that doesnt own a pair of bite alarms either.

Besides, 72 hours is a light camping trip. ive camped longer but not while fishing.

Anything useful would be appreciated. CMM

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
CMM

It all depends on what you want to get out of it. You mentioned the word "holiday"... for me, fishing solidly (and I include the time you spend asleep in your bivvy) for 72 hours isn't actually a holiday... so maybe have a think about whether or not you want a night in a local pub as part of the trip? If you were to do this, will your gear be secure overnight?

If you don't want to go down the bivvy route, there's plenty of fisheries that offer on-site accommodation which can make your three day trip a whole lot more luxurious - you didn't mention if you'd actually chosen a venue or not?

Also, how many of you are going - and what's everyone else's expectations? If it's simply a case of four or five of you going for a three day session, then I don't really think you need to take anything different from a 24 hour session - because if there's that many of you, you can always take it in turns to go off and get re-supplied (i'm thinking mostly beer, food and bait). I do a fair bit of camping too and I'm starting to think that taking a load of food with you is not the best way to approach it - take enough for the first 24 hours then hit the local shops. You might want to take some more clothes with you (unless you're happy to put up with being minging!)

I organise a trip twice a year for myself and three or four angling friends, usually for 2 or 3 nights. To begin with, the fishery was always the most important part in the equation - however, having done lots of different trips now I would say the most important thing is making sure we all have a good time. So we'll stay in a pub or b&B and have a couple of really good nights out (the fishing tends to suffer as a result, but there you go...)

One piece of advice I would give you is to check out bulk bait supplies. Again, assuming there's four or five of you going you can get some good bulk deals on things like pellets which can make a real difference over 3 days. I've used AA Baits in the past (google em) bbut there's plenty of others.

cg74

Reaction score
As Jim says, if there's a group of you going, you've got the fall back that even if you do forget something, one of them should be able to help you out.

Or go to a fishery that has a shop on-site and/or very nearby. Not knowing the standard you or your mate fish at, here's a few fishery suggestions of varying degrees of challenge:
Milton Pools, Thame
Orchid Lakes, Abingdon
Willow Park, Aldershot