Match fishing

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
To have a pole?

I'm starting match fishing and i have my first match in two weeks in the ladies shakespeare championships at Evesham. Today i went along to watch a match there and everyone seems to own a pole. I sat with Dave Harrell for most of the day and he fished it waggler style with rod and reel trotting. He was catching lots that way and i just wondered if you match men use a pole alot on the rivers? It was excellent watching and learning and i know i have a long way to go, but you have to start somehwere.

stikflote

Reaction score
Wendy
i do have a pole or two, but have never yet used one on the rivers, i fish river matches and won our river trophy last year, but i always use my rods match or feeder ,i dont take the pole at all if im on the river and if you sat watching Dave Harrel then you dont need to pole it best luck in your match

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It is possible to match fish rivers without ever using a pole and many methods can outfish a pole. There is a but though. A skilled pole angler who has mastered both river pole methods and the conventional stick/waggler/feeder etc. is going to be hard to beat.

Watching Dave Harrell (done it myself many times) can be misleading. He makes what is done extremely skillfully look far too easy, especially on a tough venue like Evesham, though I suspect that if it is still carrying plenty of flow and colour that it is fishing extremely well.

Fishing a long pole on a pacey river is difficult yet done well very effective.

If your pole skills are those of a beginner, even on stillwater then more conventional tactics that you are confident with might be better advised e.g. stick float, which is much less hard work wielding a conventional rod.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Cheers stik, i know i have loads to learn but as i said you have to start somewhere, and getting as much advice as possible. Where better to get that is here on FM.

I'm going on Friday to have a practise session and i think i will fish it just two ways, feeder and waggler. I also got some good advice from one of the guys who fished Fishomania, i can't remember his name now. He told me to go for the big fish and thats the way to win it.I'm not so bothered about winning it, just taking part will be good.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Mark i was hoping you'd spot this thread and give me some good advice. I know of how good you are, and i will take any advice given.

Yes dave did make it look easy, i have fished the way he did today but obviously not half as quick and good. He ended up 3rd mark with just over 10lb and they were all veruy small fish, but lots of them. I don't know what the winning weight was i went before the weigh in.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Wendy,

On some pegs the chopped worm feeder with heavy gear is the way to go with a chance of eels, tench, bream, barbel and perch. But there are some pegs where simple floatfishing with fine tackle is the best bet. These tend to be the shallower, faster pegs so it is vital to understand what the best approach to a peg is as well as play to your strengths.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Good advice! Go with your strengths Wendy, confidence is a big part of match fishing.

You will slowly pick up more as you progress (knowing you, you'll progress at quite a rate).

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice i get from here. Neil i know you too are a very good match angler, and will listen to you.

I'm not going to rush to progress in match fishing, i will take my time and observe alot. Then as you both say, go with my strengths.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Well that's all that matters Neil, that you think you are! That's the attitude to have, be positive in mind. I think your an excellent angler!

There are a few anglers on here i look up to and your one of them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark said:

" . . . . . . it is vital to understand what the best approach to a peg is as well as play to your strengths. "

That says it all really.

Mel P

Reaction score
To be a bit peverse - i think the pole can be an easier way into match fishing for the new starter.

Certainiy on a well-stocked commercial.

You name dropper you - Dave Harrell and the fishomania guys !!!

Seriously though I followed the fishomania match on the telly and other media and noted that top man Will Raison was the only angler to forsake the pole and use a rod and that was 80% into the match - when he knew he was playing catchup, most just stuck at it with their poles.

I just use it as another string to the bow - I prefer rod and line meself.

I do find the toppole hideously expensive though...