Shimano 2012 range

alex_molloy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, for next season i am looking to buy some new Barbel reels for the river Ribble and came across the Shimano super baitrunner xtr-ra reel, it comes in sizes 10,000, 8000 and 6000. what are your thoughts on this reel and what size would you reccomend, Thanks Alex

trigga

Reaction score
Go for a 4000D or 6000D, better front drag and more cranking power.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Got to agree with Royffey. The Limited Edition RE 5000 is fantastic value at the moment. Pretty much the same as the £100 + GTA/B versions when they came out.

The 500 XTEa's that I use/own are around £130+ but have better clutch/baitrunner adjustments than the original ones listed.

Graham

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Bankside.

There are a couple on ebay now that look very good and should go for £40 or under.

New probably need to pay around £59.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are some who say because of gearing, if you are slinging big weights/feeders across a big river you need something more than a 5/6000.

So it depends on the conditions you are likely to fish Alex.
I've used a 5010 on the Trent in most conditions and can see their point, but tend to fish down the nearside now when the flood is raging.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Hi Alex,
I have three different models being 4010 5010 and 6010 the 6010 I use for carping and the others for my barbel fishing on bigger rivers such as Trent/Thames/Severn.

The 4010/5010 will cast my FFFeeders as far as I need I have never had any problems.

There are always bargains to be had on ebay so keep looking on that site.

Kind regards
Ray:)

alex_molloy

Reaction score
Thankyou for all your replies, Barbelboi i have a pair of JW Young 12' Barbel rods and also a pair of Fox Duo lite fx twin tip rods, I will mostly be using the fox rods. I have had a pair of Shimano reels before and found the quality was good but just wanted an upgrade. Thanks once again for all your input, Alex

Terry D

Reaction score
I have a similar dilemma. I have a pair of 4000 sized Twinpower XTR match reels but think they're too small and a pair of 8000 BTE(B)s which are far too big. I looked at the new 4000D mini baitrunner and again, I think the spool diameter is too small plus I think the green finish looks like plastic and will scratch easily. I want a smallish reel with large diameter spool and strong gearing.

On another website I read that in a power test, the Shimano gearing is not as strong as that found in some Daiwa reels and so I tried looking at the Exceler X and Caldia X. Unfortunately I can't seem to find them stocked anywhere to have a look at, and I've tried over 20 shops now. I was hoping both manufacturers would be at the Big One tackle show at Farnborough next month but it appears neither will be there - what a bummer.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I looked at the new 4000D mini baitrunner and again, I think the spool diameter is too small plus I think the green finish looks like plastic and will scratch easily.

Not quite sure what you've looked at but the 4000D doesn't have a green finish.:confused: Perhaps you saw the XTFA?

I have both XTFAs and Ds (plus GTEcs with a similar finish). The glossy finish is applied over the top of XT-7 that Shimano have used for reel bodies for years.
In my experience, the shiny finish actually shows any handling marks less than the matt graphite like finish of the older reels such as the 5010 GTMs.
However, it might be another story if you are so rough as the chip the finish. I can't say for sure as I've never been that rough, even with 15 year (plus) old Stradics with their white finish.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

By the way, has anyone actually managed to track down a full paper copy of the new 2012 Shimano catalogue. I'm assured that they exist but can't find one for love nor money.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Sam,
Just checked with my m8 who owns a fishing tackle shop they will not be out until the end of April.

If you have trouble getting one when they do come out drop me a PM and I will get one for you.

Kind regards
Ray:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks Ray, a very kind offer.
I suspect that there's good reason for my puzzlement. I'd heard that the had gone out. However, the change in personnel may have been reason for a withdrawal of the small amount that may have gone out.