CARP FISHING

A

Alex Kimber

I might go carp fishing is there any inpresive baits i should take .
i also need to know a few basic rigs, baits and stuff please.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Alex

There are so many different bait on the market, it could take weeks do go through them all.

I think the best way to find out what bait to use is to speak to people who fished the venue before.

It can be difficult, as on some venues you can catch with one bait, on another venue the bait won't work.
Boilies,(pop ups) pellets, maze, sweetcorn, worms, maggots, luncheon meat, cheese, bread...those are only a few baits you can catch carp with.

Impressive bait? well that would be a subject to argue about, as everybody has a different view.

Same with rigs......what size of carp you fishing for? What the bottom of the lake like? Snaggy, silky, gravel etc.

Botton rigs, surface fishing, what distance....are you planning to spod?

All that is important to know before deciding on the rigs.

I'm sure there will be a few more experienced carp anglers who will be able to give you more/better advice.

Spoddy Dave dst

Reaction score
Take a look at the articles by Dave Rothery,they have helped me out no end.
Which i have never thanked him for.
Thanks Dave.

Mr Big

Reaction score
Well now Alex, Since I am NEW to this site and have only fished he USA, I don't think I am in any position to give advise. I do however fish venues with much pressure, (( Paylakes )). While many of our methods and techniques are different, in many ways they are almost the same. This board seems a wealth of knowledge. I only hope that I have found my way to friendly waters.
Packbaits and pickups on simple running rigs are what work for me.
Regards
Tom.

Mr Big

Reaction score
I was raised and still live in Kings Mountain North Carolina. The last Event of substance that I fished was the
ACS Baldwinsville NY event this past May. There were many teams attending from England and France. Ya'll are a serious crew when it comes to carp angling. I don't think I have ever met so many fine anglers and all around great guys before.
Tom.

B

Big Rik

I'm just about to move to Columbus Ohio, so we'll be virtual neighbours, only 500 miles apart.....
Do you post on any of the CAG forums?

Mr Big

Reaction score
I've fished the river that runs through Columbus. Plenty of fish. Yes I've been a CAG member for several year now and served as a Moderator,Paylake director, Paylake editor, and BOD but as of late I frequent the ACS forum. Termoil seems to be the only topic on the CAG forum and I had rather be fishing than butting heads.
Tom.

Carpless

Reaction score
Alex. Like spoddy dave i found dave's articles extremely helpful, i actually landed my personal best carp at 27lb on the week end off his clean bottom pop up rig on friday morning. If your looking to fish a day ticket venue that is moderately stocked then most baits will work. An inexpensive bait is sweetcorn. If you can fish a couple of artificials over a bed of sweetcorn then it should do the job fine. Good luck anyway and defo read frotheys articles.

C

Cakey

read Frotheys ,Riks,Rik and Stu's then click on the rigs tag at the top of the page and you wont go far wrong

Specihunter

Reaction score
try either dynamite or maple 8 boillies ,pellets, sweetcorn or meat and use a simple hair rig with a pva bag of pellets on 1 rod and a method feeder on the other rod should work .if the weather is hot take some dog biscuits and fish on the top for them

Specihunter

Reaction score
no problems i hope the flood didn't get to the lake .if you are still not sure go to jks and speak to them

Maxon

Reaction score
Going of the point slightly, has any one tried activ-8, ive ordered 10kg for France on impulse buy, silly i no, But mainline seem to have all round quality... Just wondering if anyone has had good results on them... even in uk or France???????

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Activ 8 and Maple 8 are good baits, caught loads of carp and barbel on them (and some other species) both here and in France.

Michael B

Reaction score
Is that some kind of a joke?

An unhooking mat is a must, you shouldnt fish for carp without one.