line strenth

stikflote

Reaction score
HELLO all help please
18 barbel have come out our stretch of the trent this week
so ive decided to have ago for one ,my biggest only 4/1/2 , but i need help on what line strenght to use ,one two members have been smashed up ive got a greys barbel rod ,and my daiwa capricorns should do that job ,help please thankyou

Trisantona

Reaction score
about six pounds b.s. for every pound of test curve is a rough guide,more if it snaggy..always use barbless ,tight lines.

stikflote

Reaction score
ok thankyou
ill buy some 15lb tommorow i do use barbless hooks a lot this time im going with some barbed ones, will daiwa sensor do the job

Trisantona

Reaction score
Daiwa sensor will be fine.Barbel have very rubbery mouths and are also awkward to unhook,far more likely to get broken than hook come adrift.

stikflote

Reaction score
thankyou Trisantona
barbless hooks then do you have a idea on which ones ,given most my hooks are match orientated so ill get some hooks

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I use 12lb Suffix mainline, 10lb hook-lengths.

Daiwa Sensor will be fine, you'll probably find that the 12lb Sensor breaks nearer 15lb anyhow, tough as nails is Sensor I just like the Suffix as it's a bit thinner and has less of a memory.

I always use barbed hooks, usually ESP Raptor T6 in a size 10 to match the pellets and boilies I use most. I've never had a problem unhooking a barbel with them or the Drennan Barbels or indeed the new Korum seamless varieties.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
10lb Sensor will do the job. As with all lines just check for damage on a regular basis. It's worth checking the last or three yards above the rig before each cast.

A

Alex Kimber

I USE 10LB LINE AND BARBED HOOKS IF IM GOING FOR BIG FISH.

MikeW

Reaction score
I used 12lb Xline for my barbel fishing last, excellent stuff, but I have been using 12lb Shimano Catana for Cats this year and I am very impressed with it, not low diameter, but very low memory, excellent abrasion resistance and it breaks well above 12lb's.