hooking fish without striking

nicky

Reaction score
I was fishing for rudd yesterday and after feeding for about 1/2 hour i had them swirling at the maggots and casters as soon as they hit the water, the bites were instant and were hard to hit (not even time to sink the line, then i remembered watching matt hayes fishing for orf at anglers paradise and he said when the fish are really competing for the bait in this fashion and your speeed fishing it's best not to strike but just give the reel handle a quick wind and if you dont feel a fish leave it there and try again, this saves having to recast and you can get a few bites of the cherry.
well rather dubiously i thought it was worth a try as they were doing my head in well low and behold it worked perfect, i'd fire out some maggots cast to the back of the swim then whenever i thought a fish was on id reel in quickly, if you missed try again working your way from the back to the front of the swim as you go.

I just couldn't help hooking them i was hooking fish when the float hadn't even been pulled under sometimes

T

The Monk

if a fish is moving away from you, let the rod do the striking, just pull into the fish

E

Evan

By reeling in you are stopping the hook and bait from sinking, so it stays just below the surface layer in the frenzied feeding zone. Plus which there is no slack in the hook length and it is moving, so no scope for the fish to muck about with it at all. Bit like spinning almost.
I get the same effect by casting, feathering whilst in the air, then as soon as the tackle hits the water in a straight line just slowly raising the rod tip and pulling it back towards me. The bang even a one ouncer can give when hitting it at speed is surprising - and fun !