What's your chosen method

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
How important is it to you which method you use to catch your chosen species.

For example, the seven Summers I spent Carp fishing, the most enjoyable method was margin fishing, with float or freelining.

My Pike fishing is done with lures ''almost'' one hundred per cent.

When I fished for Roach, it was float whenever possible, conditions allowing.

When Barbel and Chub fishing on the Yorkshire rivers, straight ledgering, watching the rod tip, or feeling for bites.

Those were my chosen methods, and the ones that gave me the most pleasure.

What's yours?

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I have thought about this a lot, I actually enjoy any method as long as I am reasonably competent in it. Nothing gives you more satisfaction than fishing a particular method very well. Some days I have not had a large fish or big catch, but have fished excellently and it has given me huge reward.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I love livebaiting for perch, using a float or float leger set up, even though I know sometimes I might be in with a better chance using spinners, second to that would be using worm under a float down the edge!

For crucians if I can I will use a lift method not using a BB, AAA or swan shot as the tell tale with a large float, more like no10's, 8's or 6's and a dart type float.

It would be quivertipping for chub if I had to choose just one method for that species.

Fishing the sliding float in deeper stillwaters for tench is fun I but also like feeder fishing with bobbins and indicators also not to mention the classic liftstyle!

When I'm general pleasure fishing and I'm on fish, a standard pole set up is also excellent!

In short, it's all good!

dangermouse

Reaction score
Float fishing for me, but that`s what I grew up with. I don`t think you can beat the tension of watching the tip of the float as it twitches and dips before disappearing down into the depths, simply magical.

I tried method feeder fishing for the first time this year and I did enjoy that. Those wrap around bites are great, simply pick up the rod and you`re into a fish.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I would be more than happy fishing any your stated methods Derek. My preferred methods, but will change readily if/when the occasion arises.

Roach/Dace/Crucians/Rudd – float
Chub – free lining, trotting
Barbel – ledgering/touch ledgering
Carp – float/free lining margins
Tench – float/float lift
Pike – deadbait
Perch livebait /lobworm/float.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whenever a technique/method is working well then it is great. If i had to blank, i would rather be trotting a float and blanking than anything else.

Snap, whatever s most effective is my favourite method. If all else was equal, I'd rather be watching a float of some description.

redfin123

Reaction score
hi derek, being a roach fan there,s nothing I like better than trotting a float for them, and that bend in the rod as you connect with a redfin. but it gives me double the pleasure because I make all my own floats. For barbel I like to fish big avon floats trotted on 6lb line straight though to the the hook. much harder work but very rewarding. Margin fishing for carp and stalking. Pike fishing I like dead baiting but prefer to fish lures if I can.

terry m

Reaction score
For me it's not the actual method used, more the satisfaction from reading the water conditions, deducing the method or style that will give you the best results, then adopting that method.

Of course it foes not always come up trumps, but when it does, and everything falls into place, then the sense of satisfaction is immense.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
I like float fishing a deadbait when pike fishing on rivers, seeing that float bang down ...
I like using livebaits for catfish in carp waters ( with no pike ) because I know the take is from a cat , carp / bream will eat large pellets intended for catfish...
I like using lobworms for perch...
I like using freelined dog biscuits for carp ....
I liked using freshwater crab for Mahseer , as it worked so well and I would like to fish for them again one day....

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The most effective method on the day for the given conditions is always the most satisfying, That might be sight fishing for barbel on a clear stream, sitting behind a pod with matched rods waiting for a big carp or uptiding with a mackerel flapper for Tope in the middle of Cardigan bay.
If I'm catching I'm happy.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have three favourite methods!
trotting with light tackle, touch ledgering and light lure fishing, love going light!!

Mark

agamemnon

Reaction score
i dont have a chosen method. depending on what works or doesnt work i can change my method several times in a day

dezza

Reaction score
Generally where I can, and it's coarse fish I am after, I prefer float fishing.

During my intensive carp fishing days I had to fish at long range due to the very nature of the waters I was fishing. Then I found the "Second Redmire", a small 3 to 4 acre lake about 50 miles north west of Johannesburg. It held common carp up to about 30lbs I guess, althought I never caught the biggest. I obtained sole permission to fish here. For 3 blissful years I had the carp fishing of my dreams. I used to fish on the windward side of the lake with breadcrusts right under the rod tip.

Great fun it was, I had a few fish over 20 lbs, but most of them were between 8 and 18 lbs. I must have repeat captured several fish, but it was hard to tell them apart, they being commons and in pristine condition. I used to use a Bruce and Walker glass Mk IV for this fishing with a Cardinal 55. The glass MkIV is the best rod I have ever used for this type of fishing. This next week or so I hope to get another 20, margin fishing on the surface.

The only problem with this water was that the surrounding bush was home to two of South Africa's most common snakes, the black necked cobra (ringhals) and the puff adder. Whist sitting there waiting for a take, you would often see a ringhals swimming across the lake.

You alway find snakes near water.

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
The only problem with this water was that the surrounding bush was home to two of South Africa's most common snakes, the black necked cobra (ringhals) and the puff adder. Whist sitting there waiting for a take, you would often see a ringhals swimming across the lake.

You alway find snakes near water.[/QUOTE]

Lucky you .No red necked barbellers there as they can be a right pain :wh

Got to be float fishing in all its guises for me although mainly net to lilies or running one down a crease .Free lining second