Worms

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Whats the difference between them, i'm looking to order some from the net and i'm not sure which to order. I've found some Dendrobaena's, are these the same as Lob? The advert says these are the 'wrigglest' of worms?

I want them for my match on the river if that helps.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wendy,

Dendrabaenas are the bigger of the readily available worms.
Personally, I prefer to use red worms for bait (the ones with the yellow tails) for most of my fishing.
The only time I buy dendras is to use as 'choppie' or otherwise snipped into groundbait, although lob worms from the garden are obviously cheaper, and just as good if you are going to chop them.

Even in matches a combination of a worm and sweet corn, or worm and bread or even worm tipped with caster can be deadly - but, as always, it all depends on the peg that you draw, and what fish are in front of you.

If it is the match that you mentioned earlier then remember that some of those ladies will be very adept at drawing fish to them.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Cheers Peter, Johnny i don't have grass it's all paved. And if i go in the field near me, the farmer will shoot me :}

C

Colin North, the one and only

Wendy,

Lob worms are the largest of the worms regularly used by anglers and can be up to three times the size of Dendrobaena. Dendrobaena are the mid-sized worm regularly used by anglers and brandling or red worm the smallest.

All will catch fish, used whole or in bits. Lob worms catch just about every species of note and used whole, tend often to sort out the larger specimens.

Brandling works well on all species, but particularly on shoal species like bream.

Dendrobaena are popular probably because they are most commonly available in tackle shops and will also catch virtually every species of fish.

This year, I caught my first and only catfish on lobs at the "catfish fish in" I've caught bream to 9lb 12oz on lobs, huge perch, pike, carp, tench and big roach on lob tails or whole worm and I've caught Salmon on bunches on lobs on a large hook.

Colin

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Colin and Phil thankyou very much, i will go out tonight with a screwdriver and see what i can get.

E

Eric Hayes

I'll tell you what you will get if you get caught with that screwdriver, 6 months for going equipped. :eek:)

T

The Monk

Wendy, I think you have a bowling green near you, sneak on at night and squirt the Green with washing up liquid, give if half an hour and then crawl about all over it on your hands and knees with a head torch on.

T

The Monk

If anyone pulls you, just tell them you`ve lost your ring Wendy

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Wendy I used to gather all mine at a little stables were they piled all the muck up ,I could gather loads in 20 minutes or so but sadly it is now under concrete .But it maybe worth a look near you if you plan on using them a bit.The longer it has been there the better I think especially if the piles been left alone as you will get the bigger ones then.If you find a good one they will keep you going forever.