Florida Keys

Steven Parry

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm off to Florida in two weeks time , spending a few days down in the Florida Keys. I really fancy doing a spot of reef fishing while I'm there. They seem to be quite expensive. Has anyone got any tips/recommendations on who and what to go out on ?

David Craine

Reaction score
Steve, I was there last year... you need a mortgage to go on a charter, the skippers will take varying numbers of anglers, if you manage to get a place along with a few others it will still cost you about ?50 to ?80 per day, and thats only for about 6 hours.
I eventually spent a day on what they call a party boat out of Key West. These party boats take anything up to 50 anglers, I was lucky, and there were only 12 of us on it.The skipper provides bait, tackle if you need it (very basic, take your own, I did )there is also a crewman who cuts bait, guts fish,and makes tea, (to be paid for)
The Party boats, if you are lucky enough to get a place on an underfilled boat, can be good value for the day, I caught loads of "Cuda, Snapper, Grouper,some smallish Sharks,etc etc, and it cost me 26 Dollars, the other arf came along as well, and had a nice day sat on the top sundeck enjoying the sun and chilling out.
If you get down to Key West, and you have some beach gear with you, try fishing off the "Fishermans Pier, which is situated about 10mins walk left from the Southernmost point beach. I had some great catches from there, Big Ray, Shark, Moray Eels,more snapper, Tarpon, plus other stuff I could not name.Another good place to chuck a line is Bahia Honda beach, a nature reserve, there you can see 10 feet Whitetip Shark swimming within 20 feet of the beach.
There are Charter Boats at Islamorada, and Key Largo, plus many of the other small towns dotted up and down,there are some flats at Key Largo, where you can wade out and chuck fluff at Bonefish as well, but beware of the Stingray which snug down in the sane and weed.
You will ave a great time, we are going back again as soon as we have a bit of time.
One thing though..... EVERYBODY expects tips, including the Skippers, Crewmen, bus drivers, bar staff, you name it, they want it.. which I found quite annoying, because IMO they get paid twice for one job.

Enjoy.

Steven Parry

Reaction score
Great info David, thanks.
What was the name of the boat you went out on ?
What bait was you using from the shore ?
Thanks,
Steve

David Craine

Reaction score
Steve.

The Boat I went on is called Gulf Stream 3,skippered by
Capt Walter Kirchener, tele Key West 296-6494.
it sails 9.30am to 4.30pm, but there are plenty of Party boats to choose from, some a lot better than Gulf Stream, it was just that he was sailing the day I wanted.

The bait I used was frozen Pilchards, and live prawns, tied on with shirring elastic, there are loads of Bait and tackle shops up and down the main Keys road,one I used was "The Yellow Bait House", Key Largo, at Mile Marker 101.1, tele 305-451-0921.

The main Keys Road runs from Miami to Key West, it is easy to navigate, because from Key West up the Keys, the road has a marker every mile, and addresses are given to the nearest mile marker.

You should also visit one of the largest tackle shops on the Keys, it is called "World Wide Sportsman", at Islamorada, on the roadside not far from Bud N Marys marina. Stuff is quite cheap, very good quality, you could spend a week there alone, there are also Charter boats on the Marina behind the shop.There is a tackle shop over the Bridge at Bud N Marys, that sells live and frozen bait, very handy as you can fish under the road Bridge at the sides, there are Shark, Tarpon and lots of other things to be caught there

As you enter Key West, there is a hotel on the right called "The Banana Bay" about 150 yards back up the road, on the opposite side you will find a Wallmart store (I think, anyway it is a big self service store)This store has a very large angling section that sells frozen Bait ,and one hell of a lot of gear as well,it is cheap, good quality,and was very handy for me as we were staying at the Banana Bay.

You may have guessed, I am an angling nut, and took along a load of gear, so I was well equipped, if you choose to get some gear whilst you are out there, it will blow your mind the variety and price, Next time I go, I will take minimal gear and purchase new.

Have a good time, I hope this is helpful.

Dave.

Oh and one (2) more things, if you get the Chance visit Sloppy Joes Bar, good live music and beer,and also the Eden Roof bar,take your missus, when you have climbed the stairs, buy a beer and look around,quite a few customers will be wearing bikinis and shorts, look closer, it is body paint.

Dave.

Beefster

Reaction score
Anyone got any info of charters and beach / pier fishing on Sanibel Island or in the Fort Myers area please. Going out in October.