Lead size

InteraX

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using bolt clips with 1-2oz leads. I've been reading that you should be using about 3oz.

What size should be used or is it dependent on the conditions? I'm fishing stillwaters.

Thanks,

Chris

Michael B

Reaction score
Dependant on the conditions.

Some people think you NEED a heavy lead in order to hook fish/the bolt effect.

I tend to use heavy leads when fishing slack lines, unless in the near margin.

You need a heavy lead if your fishing at distance, because you cant cast that far with a 1oz lead.

Carpless

Reaction score
For me i use whatever leads will get my bait the required distance with my lower limit being 1.5oz. Seeing as the water i fish doesn't need distance casting i find you get more general accuracy with a lower weight than a heavy weight at medium distance. I don't really believe that a lower weight will lose you fish with "the bolt effect" because the fish will prick itself when ejecting the bait provided your hooks are sharp and rigs correct. Sharp hooks are the more important thing. I suppose the lead bury's the hook deeper when the fish lifts it but i think by the time the lead weight has made a real difference you've already got to your rod and hooked into the fish. My theory anyway. Just use whatever you feel comfortable using really. If the 1-2oz are working fine then keep em like that. If you can't get the range bump it up a little.

J

Jamie Fleming

i only ever use light leads, 1.25 is around average for what i use, dont see the need for heavy leads when a pva bag will add extra weight for the cast

Canal King

Reaction score
indeed, but i meant on one of the previous post by Michael B he said this
"You need a heavy lead if your fishing at distance, because you cant cast that far with a 1oz lead."

Matty C

Reaction score
it depends on the test curve of your rod I think.. a 2lb tc rod casts best with a 2oz lead.. and a 3lb tc with a 3oz lead n so on.. too heavy a lead with too soft a rod n you wont go far at all..

DUNK

Reaction score
my local club lakes have banned weights under 2oz

M

Max Benjamin

Well i alwayse thought that a with larger fish a larger lead is in need say 3oz. If you hook a fish of 20lb and up it could shake a 1oz lead easy and release the hook if its barbless and IF THE LINE GOES SLACK which it shouldn't. But i guess the heaver the lead the better the hook hold??? and it's obvious that a larger lead goes further but ive used 3oz leads when fishing 24ft out (margin) so it kind of depends on the situation.

Canal King

Reaction score
Max, the heavyer the lead the easyer it is for the fish to shake its head and shed the hook, i've been using 1oz and 1.25oz and aint lost any fish yet, so i dont see what all the fuss is about lighter leads not hooking fish,

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I tend to use 1.5oz normally. I like the way it casts and it seems to produce the bolt effect.

B

Bully

Have you lot gone bonkers :eek:)

Large leads are required for longer casts. A 1.5oz lead will produce a bolt effect effectively on any size fish, so if you are not casting that far why bother. And there is no way a bigger lead means a better hook hold. As CK says, if anything its the opposite....

M

Max Benjamin

No i disagre, the bigger the lead the better the hook hold. Im going to france in a week, (croix blanch) the fish go up to 75lb i certainly wont be using a 1.5oz lead...

M

Max Benjamin

Firstly because ive been their before and the owner of the fisherie told me i was waisting my time using 2oz leads, and he is a renowned fisherman with many years of experiance, and i belive when targeting bigger carp, larger weights would most definatly work in your favour as it would penretrate the carps thicker lips, whereas a smaller carp has smaller thiner lips, fact you grow bigger over time. each to thier own, but wouldnt you feal alot more at ease knowing a <u>larger lead weight when targeting bigger carp </u>is no way going to fail you?

M

Max Benjamin

In fact thinking about it the most inportant aspect of a fishermans rig is your hook being really sharp...

Carpless

Reaction score
Max, its not about the size of the lead, if your hooks are sharp you should hook the fish. Though i believe the owner of the fishery is wise i don't think he has more experience than the pro's who tell you to use a lead that matches the distance you are fishing. Also take into account that things don't react the same in water as they do in air, for example a weight won't weigh the same as it does on land. But i dunno, maybe your right, i might try a 10oz lead next time i go margin fishing just to make sure...

M

Max Benjamin

yer in fact i might try a 10z lead weight too, do you know thats the best idea iv heard in a long time, maby 20oz i your feeling really adventures... Poult he is a pro and part of the anglinglines team, he owns 6 lakes in europe and USA, go to eurocarpsessions.com. Also poult leads dont react in water... unless your using a 10oz lead of course. The hooks i use are very sharp, pic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

B

Bully

Sorry Max, but that is complete rubbish about a bigger weight helping hook penetration and then hold while playing the fish. Hook penetration occurs on the strike, the weight only creates the bolt effect by the prick. After that hook hold is created by the tension created by your rod. If you add additional weight onto the line close to the hook is decreases the angle of effective penetration.

Just draw a simple line diagram and you will see.

Canal King

Reaction score
Right Max, Thats a few people that has the same views on the lead size's surly we all cant be wrong?