Fishable spots on the River Test and Anton

caesarson

Reaction score
I have a new contract down in Andover and after a little research it would appear the Test is going to be impossible to fish unless I want to spend £1K for a weeks ticket. So I’m wondering if anyone knows of any spots for a reasonable price. Other then that any tips on where to fish the River Anton would be appreciated. I’m not interested in the trout, mainly the greyling and if there are any hotspots for big perch, Barbel or chub would be good.

Also Due to only an hour of light afterwork at the moment are there local waters to have a spin for the pike, Zander and Perch.

Cheers for any help

Will Barnard

Reaction score
Hi mate, there is a free to fish backwater just up from the syndicated section near Broadlands. That's all I know though, no idea exactly where it is.

Jon Leckie

Reaction score
hi there

you might have to look a bit further afield.

the Test is largely Trout with some Grayling out of season but at a price. the greyhound water in stockbridge ( 6 miles from Andover) is available at about £70 for a day. other than that you are looking at a very pricey option.

The anton is largely unavailable . it holds trout and grayling and probably a few other species ( but no barbel) however most of the water is syndicated and dead mans shoes.

if you want barbel then stretches of the Loddon or Kennet available through Cemex, Farnborough AA, Reading AA or Newbury Ac might be worth looking at

if you want stretches of the Avon ( with Grayling)the Salisbury Club can help if you take up coarse membvership for about £90.

hope this helps

---------- Post added at 14:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Sorry - should have added

andover club has some water which might meet your after work requirements but one of the waters is suffering from drought

best overall bet is to pop into challis tackle in the town and talk to them they are very well connected.

finally some local businesses have stretches of the anton running through their grounds - you might be lucky to find that your contract gives you some access