Advice on using Hemp

malc donaldson

Reaction score
Hi All ..can anyone give me advice on using Hemp,i can honestly say ive never used it, the reason i need to know is we are fishing a match at Maver-Larford lakes on sunday and ive heard its best to put a bed of hemp down first--how much do you throw in and how long do you wait to fish over it and what bait would you use ...many thanks in advance for your help.

Richard Turner 3

Reaction score
hi m8 a few more details and you might get some feedback eg are you using the hemp on its own or part of a spod mix,are you using a spod or a bait boat i cant comment on the lake as i dont no it but you can generally fish any bait you choose to fish with as the hemp is there to get the fish feeding i like to mix mine with corn or maize and fish a couple of bits on the hair but there are endless bait combinations to go with hemp get to no the lake and ask about to see whats working

malc donaldson

Reaction score
Richard ...i want to throw some in either side to my peg and hopefully fish with corn and pellets...but why do they use hemp ? has it got a smell to attract fish ..

Carpless

Reaction score
Malc. If you've ever cooked hemp you'd know why they use it. It's rich in oils and does give off an aroma. Alot of people say the fish confuse them with water snails which are similar in colour and size. For whatever reason they are a good groundbait. I love to use hemp in most of my particle mixes but one of my favourites is one of the simplist. Sweetcorn and hemp. I don't usually match fish but when i'm at commercial fisheries i like to float fish a couple of sweetcorn grains on a bed of hemp and sweetcorn. It always produces results. I often put a good bed down and leave for 1/2 an hour before putting my hookbait in. I also use it in a particle mix if i'm doing an overnighter with just bite alarms. The way i prepare a hemp is:

Soak in water for 24 hours or untill most of the hemp has sunk. (depends on the quality of the hemp)

Boil untill little white "tails" pop out from the seeds.

Drain, let cool then use...

Hope it works for you and let us know how you get on.

T

Terry D

If fishing a match and just using it as an attractant, then just cup in a potfull at each position. Keep flicking some in over the top on a regular basis. The fish will also come to the noise of it on your main line so feed regularly like you would do with maggots, and just fish whatever baits you are using over it.

DUNK

Reaction score
i put some in the blender straight after i have boiled it.clouds up a treat when introduced to the water

T

The Monk

new water, not sure if it holds carp, 10KG in the margins leave it a week and come back and fish a worm over the top, try it you may be amazed