Which angling personality

R

Ron Clay

If we look through our angling lives, we find that certain people, alive or dead have influenced the way we have followed the sport, indeed how we have lived our lives.

For me 5 great anglers have pride of place although there were others.

1: JW Martin (The Trent Otter)
2: Richard Stuart Walker.
3: Jim Bazley.
4: Bernard Venables
5: Peter Stone.

I do not need the introduce these people for obvious reasons. They are, in my opinion, simply the greatest anglers of the past 100 years.

What about your list.

R

Robert Draper

When I was a kid...
Ivan Marks
Ian Heaps
Cliff Parker (The Complete Wally Angler)

And more lately John Wilson and Mick Brown.

B

Birds Nest

I've got to go for John Wilson and Mick Brown.. John simply because of his TV shows got me interested and made it look fun, and Mick Brown as it was his articles that got me into piking and the realisation that perhaps you could catch something in the winter !!!

Also, having "Given up" for a couple of years whilst at Uni I grabbed a copy of Coarse Fisherman at Birmingham airport 2 years ago, and an article about wandering along rivers for Chub got me back into it... Who wrote that ? Graham something or other .....

R

Ron Clay

Interesting that you picked Benny Ashurst Graham.

Can you tell us why?

P

Paul Kendall

My Dad - because he introduced me to fishing some 27 years ago and this year is the first year I've been able to beat him.

John Wilson - because of the TV shows and also because of the fabulous books he has written.

Ivan Marks - for his grit and determination and because like me he's a Leicester lad (and my Dad used to fish with him)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I chose Benny Ashurst because my first serious affair with fishing, following the first 15 years of casual pleasure fishing from the age of 3, I had a fling with match fishing. Mainly at club level I hasten to add, but I did fish the odd open match and twice fished the next peg to Benny.

It was the time when Benny 'invented' proper casters and then the stickfloat. He was a natural, gifted angler who, at the time, won most of the matches he fished. When he failed he came second or third. It was an education to watch him because he did everything with a fluid motion that can't be learned, and he most certainly had that indefinable instinct, 6th sense, call it what you will, that set him apart from most other anglers.

I have an admiration for him that is only matched by my admiration for **** Walker, but for very different reasons. I admired Walker for his intellect, his innovations and his writing skill - no one was, or is now, better at explaining fishing technique and theory. And when I hear some of today's anglers knocking Walker for whatever reason they have I smile wryly to myself and wish they, and I, had contributed as much to fishing as he did.

S

Shrek

1. A guy I used to work with called Alan Paul. He taught me to trot a stick float properly and numerous other things too.

2. I've picked up tips and hints from video's and programs I've watched but no one else really sticks in my mind as awe inspiring.

C

Cheese Paste

For me it would be John Wilson and my dad.

John obviously because of his TV shows and from the couple of times I've met him.

And my dad because he got me into fishing when I was 7. He taught me all the basics. Casting, tying a hook, putting a maggot on etc.

R

Ron Clay

Very Nice reply Graham.

Beleive it or beleive it not, I once fished in the company of Benny Ashurst - in Ireland. I was only about 18 at the time and was on a trip organised by Bennetts of Sheffield. We were fishing a lake close to Ballinamore and 4 of us caught a fair number of bream and rudd. The Irish Tourist Board sent their camera's along to record the catch

All I remember about Benny is that he was a very nice man indeed. He joined us in the Carrick on Shannon Hotel that night and played the spoons to the accompanyment of a guitar.

I drank a bit too much that evening and got picked up by an Irish girl called Mary.

But that's another story

D

David Will

Mr Crabtree
Ivan Marks
John Bailey
Tony Miles
Anyone posting on here with a story to tell.

S

Stuart Bullard

Jack Hargreaves - just because he had an absolute love for the countryside and his fishing episodes took in so much more than just fishing. Just a personal thing really because I can quite happily sit on the bank, enjoy nature, catch b......r all and still go home with a smile..........which is just as well really !!

R

Richard Drayson

Probably Bernard Venables through reading his books and Jack Hargreaves in his "Out of Town" TV series.

R

Ron Clay

And in the same vein, I could I ever forget dear old Tag Barnes and Ray Webb?

W

William Spencer

John Wilson,every time you read a new book of his or a new progamme he explains everything to the viewer/reader as if he's telling it for the first time.When he produced his biography he mentions he has thousands of photographs.i bet these tell a story or two.
Graham Marsden when i wanted a change in direction the way i was fishing i picked up a copy of advanced coarse fishing.now sadly out of print,it changed my specimen hunting tactics almost overnight.

F

Frank Curtis

Bernard Venables because, like many young boys in the fifties, "Mr. Crabtree" inspired me to go fishing and fifty years later I'm still fishing.
In the sixties and seventies it had to be Richard Walker, the Taylor brothers and Peter Stone.

M

Mike Parker

My dad - my first memories are of going fishing on his Sunbeam S8 motorbike, to this day the two loves of my life.
Ivan Marks
Jack Hargreaves
Olie Kite (anyone remember him?)
Marvin Elliot - he taught me to Wallis cast and bought a whole new dimension to my river fishing.

S

Stewart Moss

Peter Stone. A legend.

He lived just 20 miles away in Oxford (and fished waters I had heard of)and sometimes been to. It therefore occurred to me as a boy that I might too be able to catch fish almost as big!
I also remember that as a lad, most of the local newspaper was boring, other than the football & cricket reports, the only thing worth reading was Peter's weekly angling column. When I finally had a special catch at the age of 17 and Peter mentioned it in his column I was on cloud nine for weeks!

Of today's batch, my favourite by far, is Matt Hayes.