Chub Fishing – The Back End

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Enjoyed that Christian. Here's a question on blown baits that I don't really have an answer to. Like you, I've had to change one of my staple baits as I'm getting increasingly nervous responses to it. That's why I now use blue cheese rather than luncheon meat.

One bait that never seems to blow and always gets a positive response is bread flake. Now this puzzles me as it's a large bait with a distinctive look (white and fluffy) and flavour so my own logic would say it would tend to blow quite quickly. Yet it doesn't.

Has anybody got any ideas on this?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
No idea Sean...other than they simply love it and cannot leave it alone.In many respects you could argue that plain old white bread is the ultimate bait for virtually all non predatory species. You're right...they ought to spook at it but they just dont.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Another interesting read Christian - No idea either - could be the combination of neutral buoyancy and texture that they just can't resist.
Jerry

chav professor

Reaction score
Enjoyed that Christian. Here's a question on blown baits that I don't really have an answer to. Like you, I've had to change one of my staple baits as I'm getting increasingly nervous responses to it. That's why I now use blue cheese rather than luncheon meat.

One bait that never seems to blow and always gets a positive response is bread flake. Now this puzzles me as it's a large bait with a distinctive look (white and fluffy) and flavour so my own logic would say it would tend to blow quite quickly. Yet it doesn't.

Has anybody got any ideas on this?

To be honest, I have no idea, BUT! try a switch to brown bread and see if you still think white bread does not blow. Admitidly, it is only a short term problem - they soon get back onto white bread when they build up some confidence.

Perhaps they see so much of the stuff, I almost classify it as a particle bait - therefore less likely to blow.

Sean, do you notice how much fitter and stunning our Suffolk Chub are in comparison to those long skinny washed out Yorkshire things;)

dangermouse

Reaction score
Sean, do you notice how much fitter and stunning our Suffolk Chub are in comparison to those long skinny washed out Yorkshire things;)

Aye but them Suffolk chub are soft. Up `ere the chub get up and climb out of t` river and work all day in t` fields cutting t` grass wi` nowt but t` lips . . .

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Aye but them Suffolk chub are soft. Up `ere the chub get up and climb out of t` river and work all day in t` fields cutting t` grass wi` nowt but t` lips . . .

Aye and then when us ooks em wi ave to battle wi em for two hours in t'watter then another hour on t'bank afore we can get t'ooks aht on em.

Southern chub - nobbut softies - tha don't know tha's bin born:wh

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps they see so much of the stuff, I almost classify it as a particle bait - therefore less likely to blow.

I would agree there; on my local stretches of the Hanpshire Avon there are literally pounds of the white stuff thrown in for the ducks and swans and I'm sure a lot if this gets down to the waiting chub.

. . . . . and if you want to see a "proper" chub then get yerself down onto the river below Salisbury . . . . . . .

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Excellent article Christian.

'ark at them posh people and their chalk stream chub! They should try the Stour (there is only one - it's the one that thinks it's a chalk stream). That's proper Suvvern Chubbin.

Simon K

Reaction score
Nice one Christian. I vaguely remember what a chub looks like? Mid-winter and the bream have been "throwing" themselves on the bank. Not a sign of a chub in weeks. Never mind that an 8.12 has recently been caught where I'm fishing!

If it carries on like this I shall have to take up the float. :eek:

chav professor

Reaction score
I reacon a float could certainly open up the sections of river others avoid ledgering on due to crayfish - But I really hope you get a big 'seven' or even that 'eight' before the close of season.....

Those big fish in the papers skew the reality on how tough some of these big fish rivers are.

Simon K

Reaction score
I reacon a float could certainly open up the sections of river others avoid ledgering on due to crayfish - But I really hope you get a big 'seven' or even that 'eight' before the close of season.....

Those big fish in the papers skew the reality on how tough some of these big fish rivers are.

Thanks Christian, I hope so.

You're right about the papers. In common with many rivers with low water levels, the Lea's chub are not showing themselves so readily or acting in their normal mobile winter manner and you just have to keep plugging away.

I don't get the time to search out the fishery with a mobile method so I have to rely on previous experience and knowledge to maximise my chances.

Hopefully some rain and mild weather over the coming week might help us all as we're getting to the time when the big fish start to make their way towards the spawning grounds.

chav professor

Reaction score
Out of interest, has anyone given an open bail arm a go? As discussed last time, I prefer to use a long drop on a bobbin, quiver tip or watch the line first......

I was wishing on thursday and could not buy a bite - except in one swim, a stuttery pull on the bobbin, that when risen to the top, I felt a pull on the strike, then nothing. I placed another bait out and once again, a staggered bite on the bobbin and this time, no resistance on the strike.

To give this story context, I had already caught two fish of over 4lb from this swim the previous week - so they were skittish!

I moved on with a plan to returning later in the afternoon. On return, cast out, a staggered bite.......strike, nothing. This time I opened up the bail arm of my ambidex (not the ideal real for the job as you crank the handle to close the bailarm). the line judered on the surface and took line, it judered once again, then a long steady pull of perhaps a meter. On striking, I was not surprised to find myself attatched to a angry chub (might be my imagination, but they seem to fight more agressively when they feel they have been made a fool of). On the scales, this chub went 4lb8oz, a good fish for this river! it did concern me that missed bites could result from smaller chub - but this is not nesesarily the case!

barbelboi

Reaction score
As in my response following your 'Winter Chubbing' article I have been using this method for many years although my preferred method is free lining/trotting. However, on rivers that I know 'intimately,' I will readily use whatever method I consider to be most appropriate at the time.

As stated previously................. The way I usually see it is, as the bite develops, the chub will be pulling line from the spool sometimes a few inches, but often up to twelve inches or more. Eventually the chub will bolt off and line will be stripping off the reel at a very fast pace. I believe it is important not to tighten up too quickly as it’s the speed at which the chub is moving which dictates the timing of turning the bail arm over...................I tend to gently take the line in my fingers once a bite develops. This then become a sort of touch ledgering with an open bailarm - Although there may well be a possibility of deep hooking a fish, as with other methods, I've found that it is easier to loose a fish if your timing of closing the arm is not quite right rather than the other way round.
Jerry

chav professor

Reaction score
Jerry, it was good to hear directly from your experiences on this method, if honest, I was surprised its use was not more common. It seems like a natural progression from aspects of predator fishing where sudden changes of resistance can prove critical. In-deed, it has also landed a fair few bass on the quiet. I think if I remember reading one of John Conway's posts, he describes open bail arm fishing with an electronic bite alarm - perfect for use at night!

I would agree with the touch ledgering aspect. In fact, on this ocasion was holding line ready to give imediately prior to feeling for the lines progress on the 'run'.

I think if used responsably, deep hooking is very much to be avoided as the fish are skittish anyway given that normal bite methods have proven flawed. they skip off a bit further prior to actually commiting themselves.

What I tend to do is close the bail arm with the rod at 90 degrees to the line and then point the rod directly towards the running fish. on feeling the fish, the strike is then made made. It seems to have an impressive hook up ratio - but as all things chub, they will wise up, so best to stick to other methods first. Chub are greedy bu@@ers, they usually come back for another go!