Ian Gordon Spey Line ...

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I've just bought some second hand salmon fishing gear from a member of my club. The line I got was an Ian Gordon Spey Line. This line bi-coloured (?) with the front part being beige and the rear a light blue. What's the idea behind this change in colour?

TIA

Matthew

Trisantona

Reaction score
Sounds like a sink tip,the front end sinks to fish the flies deeper and the main body of line floats to give good control,in the right conditions can be deadly.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

This is what it says in the 'blurb' about the line ........

Partridge Ian Gordon Spey Short Head Floating Line
65' Head Salmon Floater
The key to consistant spey casting is picking the same amount of line off the water every time. With a colour change 5' from the end of the head, this becomes easier.

wilbert

Reaction score
I have one of these lines, they cast well with small flies but struggle with heavy flies and sink tips (poly leaders). If you are intending to use poly leaders with this line then you will need to cut some of the front taper off the fly lineto aid turnover.

To get the most from the line you need at least 50% of the head (light yellow) section out side the rod tip to load the rod enough to perform a spey cast. When casting a long line you will need to have the coulour change approx 1' either side of your top hand so that you can shoot line and have the optimum amount of line out side the rod tip to fully load the rod. These lines are a little lighter than some makes so quite a few people tend to go 1 line size up ie they have a 10/11# lineon a 9/10# rod but it depends on your own preferances.