Slipping bait bands - help

K

Kevin O'Keeffe

Been having a few off the top of late using drilled biscuits and pellets of various types mounted using Gardner bait bands but....

Having a few probs with bait band slipping around the hook on casting. Tried glueing (loctite super glue) in place on the shank but this only lasts a short while and the hook slips leaving a very poor presentation.
Thought about whipping the band to the hook but looking for something less time consuming that can be done bankside too.

Any ideas welcome to ease my frustration. Have heard that i need to use a differant glue?? Loctite is water soluble apparently?? Any thoughts??

W

Wolfman Woody

BAZ is right. You can add a little piece of silicon tube as well around the hair and hook to keep it all tight.

M

Max Benjamin

Dont even use a bait band, its much more effective to hook all baits you present when fishing on the top.

K

Kevin O'Keeffe

Max, I've mastered most aspects of surface fishing and had hundreds of fish doing it but still cant manage putting a hook in a dried dog / cat biscuit. And dont say soak em etc etc as they sit differant in the water and get left alone. Canny these big carp....

They wont touch the hair rigged baits either. Tried that and didnt work so that rigs out to Baz.

I had been superglue'ing the bait straight to the hook but its a bit messy and slow to re-bait when up a tree or something. I am left with a few pairs of trousers that now have solid little bits on them etc etc. Just a bit messy, but it worked for the last 5 years! Tried the band on the hook shank directly, then pulled through the hole drilled in the bait. Its a lot cleaner and faster to re-bait. You can add a shot as the bait stop on the band to ensure the hook is on top when the bait is in the water too..... perfick... untill the band slips round the bend!

Got myself some rig glue which is supposed to be water proof..... going to try that next. Whipping the bands on will work but its so time consuming.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You could whip the hair loop right down to the shank when tying the knotless knot, leaving just enough to put a band through.

Callum Mcinerney

Reaction score
Use fake biscuit from enterprize tackle tied to a x-line leader and vasaline up your mainline...

Use raptor d-7 hooks

Make the biscuit look natural and the x line sinks so they dnt know what hits 'em ahhahahahahaahhahahah!

Caught these 2 yesterday doing it :D

20lb mirror

15lb mirror

Carpless

Reaction score
Callum that 15lb is the wierdest, longest double carp i've ever seen, lol. Yeah i'm confused as to how to hook a chum mixer...

C

Cakey

Callum the carp are ok but thats is the weirdest hair Ive ever seen

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Fishing out of a tree? If I ever caught you you'd be history cock.

K

Kevin O'Keeffe

Angel...... yeah right.
Faceless threats when you have no idea of the situation etc...... try it face to face bud.

To ease your anger,
You seem to presume i play the fish etc from on high.... well thats not the case. Would not play a fish from anything but terra firma. And do not fish from more than a couple of feet above the water which i drop into when a fish is hooked. Its def not a passion for anglig / yates falling out of the tee senario. Not that mad! I'm happy that i dont cause any probs re. fish health or my own.

The knotless knot method works a treat but no loop. Tie band straight to the line end. Simple and effective...... untill the band breaks but thats just a case of re tieing the hook on. Had a couple out last night at the local pastie lake.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Never been called Angel before, I think I like it though.
I'm not angry at all, just amazed that somebody would fish out of a tree.
The thing that you don't seem to be taking on board, is the fact that you are a liability to a club or owner of the water. And any youngsters watching you doing it, would try to copy you, possibly with disaterous results.

M

Max Benjamin

Im back after getting confused about my 'log in' (validation code???)
Any way, carring on. if you use a low diameater drill, get your hard floater dog/cat and carefully drill close to the edge making a hole and on the other corner another hole, then you should be able to hook the biscuit, it wooks better when you use two on the hook, but its a bit of a fiddle... it also covers the shank of the hook up so the carp arnt as tentitive. It works for me. or... get one of those bakers dog biscuit and cut into any size, shape you want, they really are brill when fishing on the top. When i use band they do tend to slip off very often, but when they dont slip they work very well.

B

Bully

Same as Les, never ever had a problem with JR's slipping. The only thing I do is dunk the rig before casting and leave a minute (or until ready to cast). This enables the biscuit to swell a little which can be useful if a longer cast as I only slip the biscuits in, I never bother drilling etc.

Beefster

Reaction score
Baz. (you call yourself the "Angel" of the Nth!) Thats all covered in our membership....... disclaimers etc.

JR bait bands slip for me too.... maybe its the weight of the bait and the fact that it is used freelined thus is the casting weight? they are big pellets / biscuits.

Max, seems very fiddly and possibly masks the hook pointon a take. Been using the bands without probs til they start slipping.... thats sorted now tho.... i hope!

Waiting for the sun to return now..... lashing down so the rivers beckon later in the week.

Carpless

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with bait bands either, just make sure i have the right size and they always work. And max, just because you choose to use a certain method that "worked for you" doesn't mean that it is all round more effective. Bait bands expose the entire hook and point it downwards, theres a reason for it, just like theres a reason for using hair rigs on the bottom.

M

Max Benjamin

Again poult... I was just giving my opinion on what i find works best for me, i find exposing the whole hook to the carp is a no-no, it does work i no, but i find my results a far better when covering the shank of the hook. I have used bait band, and yer the John Roberts bait bands are very good but it still exposes the shank. what are you gona tell me next poult that i should be using six dog biscuits on a hair rig on the top. I might try that.