ready made riggs

Knotty

Reaction score
A mate invited me to a commercial carp venue,I asked what size are the fish,around 2 to 4 pound.
So i went and bought some ready made carp riggs for my ploe.
Bad idea,I lost 3 fish and 4 riggs due to the poor quality,One rig broke due to the hook breaking off at the bend,one the line broke at the hook,One the hook pulled out of the line,And one would not float,it keept sinking.?8 down the drain.
Can any one tell me a good brand of ready made carp riggs,Or shall i make my own????.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Make your own. You'll be able to get them exaclty as you want them. And it will probably end up cheaper.

N

NomadPaul

If you're buying rigs , i'd strick to Drennan ready made's - I don't pole fish very often so don't bother making my own rigs , just use the Drennan ones and never had a problem with them

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Knotty,

The problem with ready-made rigs is that they are made to a price and not a standard of quality.
Often the knots are insecure, the shotting incorrect and the floats (I believe) are 'seconds' that would not have been sold as individual items.

It is far better to make your own, and I think a lot more satisfying to catch fish on home made rigs.

It is easy enough when you have the right bits and pieces, and you can use hooks and line that you have confidence in.

I hope to finalise the last part of my little series; Pole Fishing from the Beginning this week and rig making is one of the topics covered.

W

will spencer

nothing wrong with the drennan polemaster rigs,the shotting is almost spot on.
10 polemaster rigs@?2.99 each=?29.90/

10 drennan pole floats@?1.75 ea=?17.50
1 packet hooks?1.20
shot/stotz around ?4-5 depending on quality/brand
2-3 spools of rig line again?4-5 depending on brand.
olivettes-?1.75 per pack
winders and winder anchors-various prices.

if you are only pole fishing for a short period then it is a lot cheaper tobuy ready mades as i've compared the prices,however if you are fishing matches then it will probably be cheaper to tie your own.

you get what you pay for drennan,preston and fox all make very good ready mades.
forget the avanti/milano 20 for a tenner crap.

Knotty

Reaction score
Cheers lads for your info.And peter Jacobs lookin forward to your series on pole fishing.