Some Fishing Video Reviews

maceo

Reaction score
I've got a few fishing DVDs recently and thought I'd say a few words of review about that. I'm sure the names associated with them are very famous, but apart from Ivan Marks I hadn't really heard of them before.

1. WAGGLER FISHING ON RUNNING WATER, CLIVE BRANSON

Clive is a Welshman with a little grey clipped moustache. He was accompanied by a fat fella who asked a few questions at first, but then went off to fish in the background.

He seemed like quite a nice chap. He reminded me of the teacher 'Pricey' from "Please Sir!" if you're old enough to remember that. I can imagine him swearing a lot when the camera isn't filming him. Probably a great man to go for a few beers with.

His most useful tip was to put the two top sections of your rod together first before adding the butt on. Can't say there was a lot more I really learned from him though. This video had a lot of time watching his float go under and then him reeling fish in, which isn't really that interesting. I wanted to know more about his rigs for different conditions etc. I'd give this video 6/10.

2. A DAYS FLOAT FISHING WITH IVAN MARKS

This is one character I've heard of, through all the praise for him on internet angling sites and mags mainly. It was interesting to see him in the flesh (so to speak) and in action.

He was fishing in a lake somewhere, rather than on a river so at first I thought it wouldn't be that interesting but there were some good tips. Probably the most useful was leaving a gap between your locking shot either side of the float to allow yourself a bit more capacity for over-striking without pulling the hook out of the fish's mouth.

I was impressed with Ivan Marks himself. He seemed like a very humble and regular chap and certainly didn't give it the big "I am" in any way at all. He confessed to over striking (above) sometimes and hooked his landing net at one point. I was glad to see that even the greats are cack-handed and clumsy sometimes!

I was also glad to see he sat on the bank and fished rather than going splashing about in the water like Clive Branson and Steve Gardener. I don't see the point really of going in the water when you're fishing somewhere like the Thames.

Finally, I couldn't help notice how Ivan Marks put fish in his keepnet. I wouldn't say he exactly "lobbed" them, but certainly "allowed to drop in" wouldn't be far off the mark! I think this video was from the 1980s which perhaps explains how attitudes have changed now. I'd give this one 8/10.

3. FLOAT AND FEEDER ON THE MIDDLE THAMES - STEVE GARDENER

As mentioned before, this man went up to his thighs in the water, which I just don't think is necessary. He mainly caught the same bleak and skimmers which I catch sitting on the warm, dry bank anyway! He had water lapping up his thighs as barges went by.

Can't say I really learned a lot from this video that I didn't know already. Steve himself didn't seem the most personable of men. It was OK this video, but nothing really special. I'd give this one 5/10.