pike fishing

themyth

Reaction score
h guys,im new to pike fishing,done a bit of lure fishing with out many problems.
but yesterday i went dead baiting and had a few dramas,was freelining with a fox trace with 2 size 6 barbed trebbles and useing small mackeral for bait,1 st take i counted to 10 then struck but the pike came off a few seconds after striking.
2nd take i left it for 15 seconds but essox came adrift soon after striking again.
an hour later and i get my 3rd take,this time i gave it 10 mins before striking,i landed a nice clean mid double,but struggled to un-hook it, the hooks were well down in its gut so i just cut through the trace and let it go.
now im off piking tomorrow and don't really want to keep wasting my traces as there not cheap,but on the flipside i don't want to lose any fish.
so how long should i leave the take before striking?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
If I were you I'd check the PAC website for info on terminal rigs, and bite indicators.
I don't want to sound too critical mate, but your approach seems all wrong. Leaving runs for ten minutes is a no, no however you stack it, that's why it was so difficult to unhook. You're gonna kill 'em with your approach. And please don't freeline baits.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Where have you got the idea that you have to wait before striking? I am dismayed that you waited 10 mins before striking and then having to cut the trace and let the poor fish go, AND you are going to do it again tomorrow!!!
Pike are really delicate fish and to let the fish swallow the trace is just irresponsible...IT WILL die eventually I assure you!
Please don't go piking untill you have consulted the predator area and asked for advise, I have not much experience with dead baiting so I can't really advise you much on the method.

Please don't think I am having ago and patronising you, but you ARE going to get some stick on here about your thread so brace yourself!

Mark

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

If I were you I'd check the PAC website for info on terminal rigs, and bite indicators.
I don't want to sound too critical mate, but your approach seems all wrong. Leaving runs for ten minutes is a no, no however you stack it, that's why it was so difficult to unhook. You're gonna kill 'em with your approach. And please don't freeline baits.

Just realized Derek, he is more concerned about the cost of traces than the welfare of the poor old fish...SHOULD HE BE FISHING AT ALL??

Mark

themyth

Reaction score
i was lead to believe pike take the bait from the side,then turn it and swallow it:confused: hence waiting to strike.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i was lead to believe pike take the bait from the side,then turn it and swallow it:confused: hence waiting to strike.[/QUOTE

IF the fish swallows the bait you are to late...Its going to die, trust me! you need some proper guidance before you go out again, please listen to what the guys on here tell you , and trust me they will do all they can to help...listen to Mr Gibson, he knows what he is talking about, have a look for him in the record books!!

Mark

themyth

Reaction score
cheers mark,i have got an old boy fshing with me next weekend that knows his stuff he's had them to over 20lb in the past.that pike derek has in his avator looks huge!!!

Last edited:

mol

Reaction score
Another of themyth posts

by far the best method i have used is livebaiting a jack 1lb-3lb under a big bung, 3 size 2 trebbles,1 in the head 1 in the back and 1 in the root of its tail.

You fishing for bites again?
Or have you forgotten that you're not so new to pike fishing?

redfin123

Reaction score
This is definitely a wind up, even the most idiotic individual would not leave a run for 10 minutes.

I hope for the pikes sake your right terry, I see from themyths details that he has not made any friends on the forum yet, nor is he lightly to if he carries on as he is doing. he needs alot of good advice before he dose alot of damage to other pike.

flightliner

Reaction score
that pike derek has in his avator looks huge!!!

Na mate, thats one of Dereks smaller ones that he,s cut and pasted from one he had many years ago. It's the ones he,s not showing that are the big ones--- Believe me!!!
By the way, even a minutes a long time to let a pike run.

beerweasel

Reaction score
I always strike as soon as I get a take, sure you will lose jacks but any decent sized pike will scoff the bait whole.
I think the thread is a troll, if it isn't then Themyth will never be a legend. :w

barbelboi

Reaction score
This is frightening.........IMO if you strike quickly and no one is home it's probably a Jack, any decent pike would have the bait in it's mouth in an instant.
Jerry
Edit PS you're in front of me again you....................Beerwealsel you:D

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Barbelboi that is my approach exactly. I tell myself that a missed take is because it was a small jack, that way I save time cursing myself.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Since I learned many years ago that the pike's stomach could be quite easily pulled upwards with a deep hooked treble and released without any great discomfort I have increased the delay time of striking from 10 minutes to at least 40, just to make sure;)
Jerry

barbelboi

Reaction score
How about using an extra long trace, wait for a couple of hours before striking, and hook 'em in the arse. :wh:wh:wh

I've got a friend who hooks more than his fair share of carp up the harris, we've got a suspicion that he's using diacalm instead of fishmeal pellets.
Jerry