Richard Walker ? Biography of an Angling Legend

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I'm still reading my copy but I'm looking forward to adding my two pennorth with an in depth review.

W

Wolfman Woody

Frank still hasn't had his copy yet, so I can't scrounge that for a quick squizz. I'll have it on my next Christmas list!

I like Phil's comment - "there are perhaps a few young illiterate carp anglers who have not heard of **** Walker:"

Graham and I were saying yesterday how so many young folks coming into the sport know little of the recent (50 years is recent) history of angling and how they come to be fishing this way. Perhaps they should read it and appreciate all that was done for them beforehand by people like Walker.

EDIT: Just thought, why doesn't Angling Times publish their own book of reprints of his many articles?

F

Fred Bonney

Just put my copy down,received this morning.
Only put it down, because I needed a pee, and to send an email to Coch-y-Bondu for a very prompt service.
Just off back to start Chapter 7,(almost) unputadownable!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Unlike Ron who got early receipt I managed to receive mine one hour before heading for the airport last week and didn't want to take it with me as it could get bashed about. So I had to wait five days before getting stuck in last weekend. All I can say is if you haven't yet got a copy then do so now. Barrie mentions the possibility of a new edition in time when more info comes to light and I hope more on Walker's roach fishing is included as he was one of the best.

T

Thalia

Can't wait to get hold of a copy. Reading Ron's review I was tempted to joke rather cheaply that perhaps **** could walk on water ( I would have added a smiley of course). But we all know that if **** had tried he probably could have walked on water - who's to say he didn't and he kept it to himself aware that those of us already in awe of him couldn't handle the truth of the second coming? I agree with Ron's point that it's been a bloody long time before this book was written.

To paraphrase Ron - "Barrie compares Walker with two other famous anglers: Bernard Venables and Isaak Walton. Quite frankly, there is no comparison. Richard Walker was unique, an innovator, a true giant who will always be acknowledged as the greatest and most influential British angling writer of all time." - Enough said.

And the one Jeff points out from Phil about modern day carp anglers not knowing who **** was - the truth I suspect is that so many in this branch of angling wouldn't care even if they read it. The fishing world today seems to have far too many in it totally unaware of it's history or developement. Take ****'s whole contribution to the sport away and the mind boggles at just how different it all may be. That's a great legacy to leave I feel.

Not sure if my words make total sense but to sum up he is the greatest. To compare anyone of the modern ilk with him doesn't do him justice given the materials and common knowledge available to him at the time.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Just to let everyone know that following on from Fred's post, Coch - Y - Bondu books still have copies in stock at ?35.00 + ?3.00 PP.

T

Tony Rocca

Redstone are advertising a second hand one at ?48, its only been out for 2 mins for gods sake.

Amazon says Medlar still have some but Ron said 1st's had all gone.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Ordered mine yesterday so should be OK.Ridiculous that there is a premium on the first edition already.Books are meant to be read not to be an investment.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Nigel,

I agree with you, but you cannot "buck the market", as dear old Maggie said. I have been offered ?100 for my first edition, and of course I have turned it down.

If people want it, they will pay for it, especially if they want it bad enough. This first edition of Walker's Biography has sold out. Look after it guys, this is one book, that in 10 years time you could probably buy an old age pension with.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,

Do an internet search and you will find at least 3 outlets selling it for the cover price, as of about 20 minutes ago.

I've not read mine yet as I've been here in Paris for the last 2 weeks but will keep an open mind.

The reason that most books become 'valuable' is not only due to a limited first run, but also subject, content and a lasting potential market.

As I said though, I'm keeping an open mind until I get a chance to read it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Pete,

Knowing you, you will love this book.

I have just spent a 45 minute telephone conversation with Patricia Marston-Walker. She is delighted with my review and we spent some time covering a number of points in the book that will bring out some further aspects of old ****'s life.

Send me a PM

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Something I have just learned.

Have a look at page 241. There you will see a photo showing **** Walker helping to support the successful Tory MP for Hitchin and Letchworth - Sir Nigel Fisher.

Look to Fisher's left, and there, unmistakeably, is Enoch Powell!

Certainly **** did have friends in high places!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Leather back copy to be available about end October at ?135.00.

Only a small limited edition, that just might be signed. If you want to double your money in 12 months, this is it!

T

Tony Rocca

Mines arrived, had a quick skim through, had to stop and read the chapter about himself and BV though, interesting.

F

Fred Bonney

Finished my first read yesterday.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Having my formative years influenced by Jack Hargreaves and Tom Williams,I could only really remember **** Walker, as the catcher of Clarisa.
This book opens up my mind to the man, just a bit more than the Stone- Walker Letters did.
Now where's that copy of Stillwater Angling. I have it,but can't remember reading it?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Fred,

As a person who has read just about every word Walker has written, my belief is that overall, he influenced fly fishing, especially still water trout fishing far more than he ever did carp fishing.

After he caught Clarissa and a further 30 pounder from Redmire, he virtually gave up carp fishing. Walker's quest to prove that carp of 40lbs did exist and that they could be caught with the right approach, was proven.

He moved on to other angling challenges, and what attracted his fertile brain more than anything was the problems presented when the big new reservoirs such as Grafham and Rutland Water opened.

F

Fred Bonney

I think that all comes across very well, in the book Ron.

By the way Ron,it was his wife, who was related to Gary Cooper!