Rain

dezza

Reaction score
I am worried about the lack of rain up to now this month. In my younger days, February was a time of non stop deluge. In fact it was called: "February Fill Dyke" in the old days. I hope we get some rain soon, as it looks like we are in for a heat wave (18deg) next week.

It's the opposite in other parts of the world of course, Australia, especially in the south east is getting the heaviest rains in living memory and it looks like another year of record harvests in South Africa. All water suppy reservoirs are full I am told.

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Oh and let this be a thread to report on rainfall in your area.

flightliner

Reaction score
Not wishing to be contrary here as I know some areas have suffered a lack of rain but the other day on radio Sheffield a guy reporting for our water area said that all the ressies in the area were 99% full..
My mate told me that Damflask was just about spilling over the rim of the overflow.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
My mate told me that Damflask was just about spilling over the rim of the overflow.

Damflask of course gets most of its rain from the Pennines, where there may have been copius amounts. But here in Rotherham and much of Sheffield we are in a rain shadow area. My friend Lee tells me that the grass on his verges where normally he can get lots of lobs is dry as a bone.

Still, the Don is running at a nice height and colour at the moment. I think I'll give it a bash this week.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Some of the still waters around here are well low and I don't believe any significant rainfall is forecast (light rain Tues and Wed as temperatures rise). After a sharp frost tonight the night temperatures are forecast to stay above 7 or 8 with a day temperature of 16 promised for Thursday and no sign of rain. My main stretch of the Colne is in good nick and I had three enjoyable chub sessions last week and Thursday and Friday are penciled in for this week with maybe a change of direction from chub to barbel. Looking forward to a work party with my club next Saturday on a recently acquired stretch of river that I have never seen before.
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
In the central south it is far too dry for comfort. The Hampshire Avon is running at Summer levels, well within its banks as is the Dorset Stour and the Frome too.

We have missed the scouring floods that are a parts of clearing out the rivers, and at this rate it will not happen this winter.

I share the concerns.

I am off to Sydney to work in a few weeks time, the team I am visiting told me last week that their summer has been well below par. I am hoping it is delaying itself until I get there !!

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
Had very little rain in Manchester this week. Mersey is slightly up, Bollin is about 1ft up and dropping. Funnily the meadows around here are all waterlogged but the streams and ditches are at normal level.

The bad one

Reaction score
Emmm so you are dry in the south and there are proposals to take water from the wetter west and north of the country.
We're all in it together?
Well no we are not!
Why should those in the wetter areas have to suffer the diminishing supplies to their ground, river waters and water environment to the levels you have because of the south's over-use and over-population?
And who's bills will the piping network fall on to get the water to those dry areas? Well not the South I'll wager.

And the profits of any sales will go to who? Certainly not the economies of the wetter areas that's for sure! In the case of United Utilities it'll end up in the coffers of French shareholders.

All anglers who live in wetter regions should resist any attempts to any proposal that will damage or diminish the water environment in their region.

National Water Wars are on us and them barstewards in government don't give a flying for those areas because where do they live?

Oh and the West has lots of lovely rain coming in tomorrow!

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Good old Phil, we agree on something for a change.

If there is one thing that gets my hackles to rise about the south it's the term: "Home Counties"

Home counties be bollaxed!!!

Who do they think they are? If they want to get rid of area discrimination, the term: "Home Counties" should be abolished.

cg74

Reaction score
A note for the minority that don't live in the south/southeast/eastern areas.... We're the majority, we're also the economic hub of this land and the central base of our govenment, and should our, grossly over populated region run dry:
We will have your water, so bleat away, you are the minority, and no f***er is listening!!:wh:p:w:cool:

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
On the news last night, serious shortages in the SE. Reservoirs very low. I think it could be serious if we have a April/May like last year. For these reservoirs to be low at this time of year is a worry. Farmers are asking for a grid work across the land.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
a note for the minority that don't live in the south/southeast/eastern areas.... We're the majority, we're also the economic hub of this land and the central base of our govenment, and should our, grossly over populated region run dry:
We will have your water, so bleat away, you are the minority, and no f***er is listening!!

"cum an ave a goo if yer think yer ard enuff":eek::eek::eek:;)

Reaction score
So where is all the water going?

The answer is quite simple.

The fish are drinking it. We can't have it both ways. If we want more fish in our waters then we have to accept that they will need something to drink.

The bad one

Reaction score
A note for the minority that don't live in the south/southeast/eastern areas.... We're the majority, we're also the economic hub of this land and the central base of our govenment, and should our, grossly over populated region run dry:
We will have your water, so bleat away, you are the minority, and no f***er is listening!!:wh:p:w:cool:

Actually your not, you Just think you are! More southern bull excurment:rolleyes:
Population of Egland 52,168,105 The 3 regions 5.8 m 4.9 m and 8.05 Total 18.75 So where do the other 33+million live? :confused:
Think you'll be very thursty this coming year even with your money and political seat of power. What, what bottoms up :w Oh you can't, you ain't got any have you :D

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Abstraction rates from rivers & aquifers to fill up water supply reservoirs would not need to be so high if all water companies did something about the abysmal leakge rates from their pipework - in most cases it exceeds 30%