Dragon?s Swim

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I've heard it said many times, that manufacturers have a stockpile of new ideas to bring out, including bait manufacturers.

I don't know how true it is, but it is said that they hold things back until the right time.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Baz I believe your right - if a manufacturer has 2 new products of the same type i.e. baits Call then bait A and B why bring both out at the same time, much more profitable to bring 1 new baits out 9bait A) - get every one using it - then bring out the "new improved" version of it. Then bring out bait B a year ,18 months later and a "new improved " version of bait B out again a6 months after that. That way 2 baits can bring in more profit.

Tally ho

M

Max Benjamin

Good point i never thought about that, they must even do it with other products, for instance the fox easy dome... a year later or so fox easy dome x... same money but improved, gutted cos i have the fox easy dome...

Reaction score
Or it maybe that they rush to get a product out in front of competitors, ltting the poor old mugs fieldtest it for them. Then they can bring out the improved Mark II version (which is the one that should have come out in the first place)!

Cynical maybe. I'm sure the manufacturers would say it was "reacting to customer feedback".

As for bait manufacturers, you don't think they only have one product in the fiedtesting stage, do you?

W

Wolfman Woody

I wouldn't know for sure, but I can say with soem degree of certainty that if you bought a brand new Shimano reel today it is already out of date.

The reason being - next year's model has already been completed in production and is ready to ship to the UK. However, that is out of date because....

The next model has just been committed to and tooling is already under way. Production starts in December ready for release in late 2008 and on the shelves 2009. However, that is out of date because....

The model after that is on the drawing board and prototypes are at this moment being made. If successful and afetr one or two tweeks are knocked out the tooling for the parts on that will begin soon. However, that is out of date because....

Some smart little guy in the Imagineering Department at Shimano is already working on drawings for the model after that.

You see, we think 3 months or 1 year ahead. The crafty and very clever Japanese, think 100 years ahead!

PS on the article. I received a phone call from a manufacturer today about a new product and he is having a prototype made up. Keep watching! And with this guy, he's genuine and if it is successful there may be a little more than a "few crumbs". I might get a bit of bread with some butter and pickle on it too.

Dick Brunyee

Reaction score
We have had bread here for years Woody? plus butter and pickle! but i agree with what you say, some 1 invented the loaf, then some one invented the sliced loaf, but while they were thinking how to make the slices the same thickness some one invented the cob (or roll) as it is known. Then the French got involved and invented the stick. So now when you go to the supermarket alot of southerners wont be able to buy the bread because it gets to confusing having so much choice.
So they come out with something totally different, they get to embarrased to ask for a loaf when asked "do you need help there sir"
So i see where you are coming from with the Shimano scenario.Confusion is all in the mind (apparently) so they say, i think, not sure now..lol :)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

This new product wouldn't happen to be an Incontinence Bung for people like Ron would it ???

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Sadly that is all probably very true Jeff but if every angler was like me they wouldn't be so quick to replace their reels because a} I only ever use Shimano reels and b} they last me for many many years and are still looking like new. Apart from the Stradic 2500 which is now 2 years old my others are at least 12 years old and as smooth as the day I bought them.

I can sympathise with manufacturers, I suppose there is not much point in sitting back on a good product because in our throw away society, which very much includes angling, something new on the market is a trigger for some anglers to buy it even though it is pretty much the same as last years model and certainly won't catch you any more fish. The wise angler waits till the new model comes out, then,providing he needs it, goes out and buys the previous model at a much reduced price knowing full well it is equally as good as the now model.

Any tackle dealer will tell you that by sticking floats in view in his shop anglers will automatically buy 1 or 2 though they may have half a dozen in their box that are exactly the same and if we anglers are honest we are influenced by shiny new things.

Maxon

Reaction score
It might be correct that some anglers are influenced by new shiney thing, of course not you... but i disagree on the improvement of products, for bivvies they are alwayse improving the erection time, materials and space... I agree that you could buy the later model of the two and be happy with it though. And rods and reels are alwayse improving. Most of the sh*t they come up with like erodynamic what ever and twin balanced bo$l*cks mean nothing... you no a quality real when you buy diawa, shimano ect

and certainly won't catch you any more fish. ..correct

Most items don't its comes down to a few items that are esential.

W

Wolfman Woody

The bread line (pun) was an metaphoric analogy. Sometimes, I think I dig my own grave on here. :eek:) But then - there's garlic bread.

I chose Shimano because they are well know for changing their models every year. They are, as Graham suggests, great reels. Some changes are for the better, some not always so, and sometimes it appears to be just a change of colours.

My piece was aimed as a warning to all you out there who may have dreamt up an idea for a gizmo that you think will be the new angling "can opener" (that's another metaphoric analogy, by the way) and that every angler in Christendom will want one. Don't chuck your money into it until you have thoroughly researched the requirement for it and how much are people prepared to pay for it.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Just make sure that the Shimano reels you buy are made in Japan and not Maylasia, they have had loads of trouble by switching production to Malaysia, the faults on the reels have been terrible.Luckely now though most things have returned to Japan.

Maxon

Reaction score
Ive jsut bought 2 Shimano big baitrunner LC, how do i check if the are made in malaysia...

davestocker

Reaction score
Geoff, you say 'The lesson for us all then is do your homework first, find out by asking around if there really would be a demand for your idea.' The problem is that where patents are concerned, you must not disclose the idea prior to filing for protection, as I understand it, which can make the kind of market research you mention difficult.

The other thing I've heard said is that you shouldn't take out a patent unless you've the money to defend it, that is, in a court of law if someone comes along and tries to pinch it. Think megabucks if it's a big company who wants to nick/tweak your idea.

Having had a go myself (see http://www.siestacorktiles.co.uk/maniform.htm)I reaaly sympathise with those who've found it a struggle. That said with an ageing population, my product's day might come. But I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction score
What I've found recently is that it's a good idea to look at flea-bay to see what the going second hand price is for stuff.

I was amazed recently to see that my main reels (10 years old) are now selling at ?250+ for a set of three and my back up carp rods (also 10 years old) are are going for ?200+ a pair!

If they're taking that price now , they must have been pretty bloody good back then!

If you see loads of one particular model of anything, then it generally means people want to get shut of them!

Dick Brunyee

Reaction score
It was the Silver GTEB reels what had been manufactured in Malaysia that developed faults.But the XTEA models are fine now they have switched back to Japan.

JUZ

Reaction score
Where the shimano is made is printed on the top of the reel foot.