fly fishing for carp

malc donaldson

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if its possible to fly fish for carp...we fished a match at Larford lakes last sunday and we were watching a guy on the far side of the lake flyfishing and he was taking decent fish regulary ...he seemed to be dry fly fishing ...there were also large carp cruising the surface for most of the day..

Maxon

Reaction score
i would love to fly fish for carp... but dont no how to fly fish... i have herd it works tho...

MikeW

Reaction score
Have done it several times, with bushy dry flies & small cork balls (not quite "fly" fishing), it is excellent fun and they don't half go on a fly rod. I've only had fish to 10lb's or so on the fly rod, but it's the sport provided that matters most.

Maxon

Reaction score
of course, don't no if this is a silly question wear u using a centre pin... if so the fights must have been unbeleavable...

MikeW

Reaction score
Not a centre pin but a traditional fly fishing reel, the fights of smaller carp, rather than 20's say, are fantastic, they have you down to the backing in no time.

Maxon

Reaction score
Might have to look in to this whole fly fishing for carp buisness, anyone got any ideas...lake?

malc donaldson

Reaction score
yep Max...im gonna give this ago,but with only 35 mtrs of fly line on my reel and average backing it looks like i may have to jack up my backing to a better breaking strain as MikeW makes a good point when hitting a decent carp.

malc donaldson

Reaction score
As an after thought ..it might be a good idea to put a pea sized peice of immitation bread on the hook instead of using a fly...

MikeW

Reaction score
Any 'commercial style' water with plenty of carp in to 10lb or so would be a good water to start on, don't use too light a fly rod, 6-8lb leader will be fine for the above mentioned sizes, but if bigger are possible 10lb would be sensible. All manner of things can be used, from small bushy dry flys, actual flys tied from deer hair to imitate pellets are effective, 6mm cork balls, small pieces of coloured foam cut to look like a pellet. Feed little and often 6mm floating pellets (although sometimes you can find fish naturally feeding in the surface scum and target those, which is more pleasing)and wait for them to start rising. The beauty of using the fly rod is that you can lift off and target a taking fish far more easily than constantly reeling in a controller float for example.

malc donaldson

Reaction score
thanks mike ...perfect bit of info there ....iknow 3 or 4 nice pools where it is fairly quiet for me to try those ideas out.