Barbel and Chub fishing near portsmouth?

bigperca1

Reaction score
I've just moved to Portsmouth and i wondered if anyone can tell me if there is any barbel or chub fishing in the Portsmouth area.

Thanks

Terry D

Reaction score
There's quite a few chub in the Wallington, on a PDAS book. For barbel, the nearest is the Itchen. Just do a few searches on here and maggotdrowning.com.

rich_m

Reaction score
I moved to Portsmouth a couple of years ago and tend to head to the Hampshire Avon for my barbel and chub fishing - it takes about an hour to get to Ringwood (or Britford where I often go). I've heard there are some nice fish in the free stretch of the Itchen, but it was rammed when I went down for a look a few weeks ago (that was at the weekend though).

Keith M

Reaction score
I've just moved to Portsmouth and i wondered if anyone can tell me if there is any barbel or chub fishing in the Portsmouth area.

Thanks

I used to head for the river Stour at Throop Mill when I was based in Portsmouth. our club (RN & RM AC) used to have a few free places there, but you can also get day tickets there.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Keith, you probably know a couple of RN guys Chris Bailey and Frank Nowalski then.

Peter. Yes. See you Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Graham

Keith M

Reaction score
Peter,
Yes HMS Dryad was one of the places on our Portsmouth RN & RM AC card.

Graham,
I can't remember many names from back then; too many boats have gone under the bridge since I was in the RN (from 66 till 77) which is a long long time ago. :)

I have lived in Hertfordshire ever since I left the RN.

Dave Hancock

Reaction score
The lower Itchin is a good place but it isnt easy Ive had barble to 12.5lbs & chub to 6lbs it does get busy during the weekends but it fishes better for the barble during darkness. I have only had them from 2 pegs on the swathling stretch (free).