Trotting

S

Steve Eddy

Hi.
Trotting a stickfloat.Can I stop the float twisting round and ending up sort of upside down,hope you know what i mean.
Cheers Steve

captain carrott

Reaction score
move the rubbers right to the end of the float and use a long 1 on the bottom

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

How are you casting?

The cast should aim to lay the float and shot on the surface in a straight line.

keora

Reaction score
Don't try an overhand cast if the float is getting tangled, try a sideways swing instead.

stikflote

Reaction score
put three rubbers on float one near tip one half way and a longer one on bottom of float let that one over hang end float ,cast sideways ,hold line just above hook lengh in left hand if right handed ,then pull with right hand letting go of line in left hand , you will soon get the hang of it best luck

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve,

It sounds to me like you are casting overhead and that causes the hooklength to turn-over the top of the float.

While an overhead cast is fine (if feathered) for a waggler, i.e. bottom fixed only, it is the kiss of death to a stick float.

To cast a stick float, efficiently, take the rod in your 'rod hand' and take hold of the last dropper shot with your other hand.
Next take the rod across your body still holding the last dropper shot and slightly flext the rod tip by excerting pressure with the hand that is holding the last dropper shot.

Now, in a smooth, single movement, cast the float with a sideways action and just before the float hits the water, you describe a letter "C" with the rod tip.
This will ensure that you lay the float, hooklength and bait in a straight line just slightly downstream of your position.

Next, mend the line so that you have the rod tip in direct contact with the line to the float.

This is another one of those things that is so easy to demonstrate and yet so difficult to describe in words. That said, I am sure that there are some FM members local to you who would be only too pleased to give a practical demonstration.

Good luck with one of the most satisfying methods of float fishing ever invented.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Peter.....you put that so well!! made me feel like running up the loft and getting my spliced tip DH that i got for a snip on EB......you must have been away!! HAHHAHA

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Lol......i now have my quota, well along with an aristocrat that you must have missed........getting slow in your old age Peter? hahaha

S

Steve Eddy

Great stuff,and perfectly understandable(there`s a mouthfull) Cheers,now when will the rain stop!!
Steve