Review - The Kelly Kettle

W

Wolfman Woody

Sounds like the very thing for the man who has everything.

So, I couldn't think of a more appropriate tester. :eek:)

The only concern I have is from the fire hazard point of view. I have seen vast hectares of forest blackened by fire started by "careful" hikers or tourists in France. However, with the summer we've had this year, there's little chance of that.

Well written piece Peter.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff.

I understand the concern although I do think that if used correctly and if you observe the 'open fires' rules then you shouldn't have a problem.

I use mine mostly on my local stretches of the Avon and almost always site it right by the river's edge. That way even if an accident occurs then a swift push with a foot sees the fire box into the water and extinguished quickly. alternatively, I'll use it in the car park but again right by the water's edge for that final cup of the day before the drive home.

I never did see the other review of the similar kettle, so thanks for the link. Interesting.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Sounds like the very thing for the man who has everything."

Maybe, but also right 'up there' has to be a Ray Mears Bushcraft knife.

Go check out those prices!

;-)

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Get the kettle on Peter, I'll be there in a bit... :)

C

Colin North, the one and only

I've got one that I've had for about 5 years now. Excellent bit of kit. I tend to use a firelighter to get it going and invarialbly use "Cooks Matches" co's they are long enough to poke in the hole in the firebase, to get it all going. Beats a flask anyday.

C

Chris Bishop

Wanted one of these for years but never got round to ordering it. Thanks for the reminder.

Y

yoggy

A fantastic bit of kit.I owned one for about 10 years.
Because most of my fishing nowadays tends to be "roving" I`d find them a little bulky. But nevertheless I`d still consider buying another for those "static" days.

Incidentally I purchased mine from an army surplus store,so its worth checking out a few before anyone buys one.

F

Fred Bonney

What a co-incidence, I got one last week,not used it yet,but it's primed and ready.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Are you lot so poor you cant afford an electric kettle There only?6 in Asda.Supprised at you Woody my boy, thought you were posh!.Knew Ron would have one, poor soul.

stikflote

Reaction score
Ive got one too mines the two pinter, but ive often thought i should have bought the one pinter,the two pinters just a little to fat to put in my bag ive not used it for a while ,been taking a flask out while im on matches

Morespiders

Reaction score
Firelighters! Colin,bit uncivilised what does the wife say when you make a brew?, must stink the house out. Bet Ron doesn't use firelighters.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Firelighters???? You must be joking.

Empty the powder out of a Rigby .416 cartridge, chuck that in and light it!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Peter, I think it would need combining with a Cane and Pin only day when tweeds would be obligatory.Ron would enjoy that I am sure.

Make sure you bring it along on our day in December.

Reaction score
I've been using my 'Waterlog' issue kettle for 6-7 years now, and I love it; having to carry a dedicated tea-brewing kit-bag is a small price to pay for fresh tea and, yes, the brewing-break affords a welcome interlude...best reel in when barbel-fishing! I use the 'hollow' within the kettle to store/transport kindling wood, cup, spoon etc in order to save space - shame there's no room for a gallon of water!