Thailand Fishing info

martinsalter

Reaction score
Hi Guys. A young mate of mine is off to Thailand shortly and his girlfriend wants to book him a days special fishing as a treat. Top bird ! He is an accomplished carp fisher and excellent river angler but I fancy something a bit different would fit the bill. Any ideas ?
Cheers
Martin

paul_sharman

Reaction score
Hello Martin, the original and the best outfitter is still Welcome to Fishing Adventures Thailand although others also run great operations in various locations around the country.

I just sent US angler Conway Bowman out there who is filming for his next series of Fly Fishing the World and they had a great time. Francois and his team can organise fishing in or near Bangkok or elsewhere around the country.

Let me know if you need more info and I can help - ps@fishandfly.com

ian_welch

FishingMagic Editor
Reaction score
Hi Martin

I've been over several times now with Fish Siam on both the commercial pools, most of which are excellent, and on the rivers, which are totally extreme.

I have a lot of contacts over there and am more than happy to pass on any information you require; feel free to give me a shout at: iw@macnabmedia.com

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Where's Ric Elwin when he's needed?

He's here :) I'm afraid I can't help though. There are a number of venues around Bangkok; others in the Phuket region. I've not fished any of them, but I've seen one or two. Highly commerical (stagings, aereators, crowds, crossed lines), overstocked, nothing natural about them. Also very expensive to fish, even by U.K. standards. If that's your thing, go for it!

As for more natural venues there are one or two, usually hundreds of miles from anywhere, difficult to get to, highly seasonal.

Trying to find anywhere nice to fish around South East Asia is very difficult; almost; a waste of time.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He's here :) I'm afraid I can't help though. There are a number of venues around Bangkok; others in the Phuket region. I've not fished any of them, but I've seen one or two. Highly commerical (stagings, aereators, crowds, crossed lines), overstocked, nothing natural about them. Also very expensive to fish, even by U.K. standards. If that's your thing, go for it!

As for more natural venues there are one or two, usually hundreds of miles from anywhere, difficult to get to, highly seasonal.

Trying to find anywhere nice to fish around South East Asia is very difficult; almost; a waste of time.

Brutal, but telling it like it is, Ric. Pet imported Amazonian arapaima anyone? Meaningless.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Gillhams where I fished is in Southern Thailand ,is in beautiful surroundings and good if you want a good holiday and to catch some stunning fish , with very good accomodation. It is near Krabi which is a scenic part of Thailand.
Not for the purist maybe , I would love to catch an Arapaima in the Amazon ,yes , but if you are just a normal working bloke it is hard to have the time or money to do this. Going to the Amazon ,is surely more expensive and it takes days to get to the places involved especially if you are trying to do the trip alone. I have managed to fish rivers in India for Mahseer and Canada for Sturgeon and maybe one day I will get to South America to fish.
It is easy to dismiss these type of fisheries but at the end of the day you still have to put in the work to catch the fish and if you only have a couple of weeks to spare , they make a good holiday.
We haven't all got the money to be pioneers...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some of us don't have the money to fish zoos, others didn't have the money yet still made the time to be pioneers. How I hated Ed Hillary when I met and had dinner with him in the 1980s ... "B'stard ... do Everest first ... you smug xxxx..." [Not! Lovely guy].

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Some of us don't have the money to fish zoos, others didn't have the money yet still made the time to be pioneers. How I hated Ed Hillary when I met and had dinner with him in the 1980s ... "B'stard ... do Everest first ... you smug xxxx..." [Not! Lovely guy].

Thought my line about pioneers would get a bite.....I wonder if Sir Ed would dismiss all later mountain climbers as meaningless , just because he did it first or the mountains were smaller. I hope if I do become a fishing pioneer one day I don't become so judgemental.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In all other pastimes and sports pioneers are respected and celebrated, in ours, a pastime in which anyone who has held a rod by the right end for, say, two or three minutes is an instant "xspurt", they're fair game for anyone, particularly the last guys in. The Americans tend to respect their pioneers though, but as for we peevish, envious Brits......

simon dunbar

Reaction score
In all other pastimes and sports pioneers are respected and celebrated, in ours, a pastime in which anyone who has held a rod by the right end for, say, two or three minutes is an instant "xspurt", they're fair game for anyone, particularly the last guys in. The Americans tend to respect their pioneers though, but as for we peevish, envious Brits......

No I don't think thats the case. If we didn't respect the pioneers of fishing us average anglers wouldn't buy their books , watch their programmes or want to fish the sort of places they do. I like programmes and books about pioneering fishing more than any other branch of angling and these are the types of anglers that have inspired me over the years.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"It began innocently enough." - my first line of a book that I began in late 1989 / early 1990 and which was eventually finished and published two years later in 1992 (Happy 20th Birthday). It sure did!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
"It began innocently enough." - my first line of a book that I began in late 1989 / early 1990 and which was eventually finished and published two years later in 1992 (Happy 20th Birthday). It sure did!

"It began innocently enough." - my first line from a book that I began in late 1989 / early 1990 and was eventually banned by the obsence publication squad of Scotland Yard two years later in 1992.

Still there are a few copies they didn't burn - send £500 for one:D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Strictly under the counter for those who want something a little stronger - er, more distinctive - a Barder-bound Restricted Edition - in leather, Tweed, silk, PVC and lace (I also told young Edward "Don't spare the clingfilm, either, Eddie Boy.") - for a couple of Gs is a very sound investment...

PS - Also includes a new foreword by the Marquis de Sade.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Strictly under the counter for those who want something a little stronger - er, more distinctive - a Barder-bound Restricted Edition - in leather, Tweed, silk, PVC and lace (I also told young Edward "Don't spare the clingfilm, either, Eddie Boy.") - for a couple of Gs is a very sound investment...

PS - Also includes a new foreword by the Marquis de Sade.

All that and just a hint of sweat on the inner thigh:eek: