Fish theft petition

G

Ged

Signed.
How long before the Goverment will act?
Partition to be submitted by Feb 2008.
How many fish will be lost in this time?

Reaction score
Fish theft is a problem and I would support a change in the law, but I'm afraid I don't like the overtones in the wording of this one. 'Severe penalties' and 'immigrants' in the same sentence disturbs me a tad...

Anyone got a link to a less contraversial petition that sensibly addresses this serious issue and I'll sign up in a flash...

C

Chris Bishop

This is precisely the problem, according to a survey of fishery managers.

This was widely reported in the media, including The Times and the subject of a debate on radio two.

linky

paul martin 7

Reaction score
'Severe penalties' and 'immigrants' in the same sentence disturbs me a tad...

Why? If the immigrants are mainly responsible for fish thefts then they have no more right to break the law than anyone else. Laws are for everyone not just for a few.

Reaction score
As you say Paul, laws are for everyone so when they are framed there is not a need to make reference to any particular sector of society.

It may be correct to infer that most fish theft is carried out by immigrants but why as the wording of this petition suggests should only these immigrants be subject to severe penalties?

I may have this wrong but according to the 1968 Theft Act we already have severe penalties in place for those guilty of fish-stealing (in the case of commercial fisheries, club-owned lakes etc.)

According to the Act,

?Wild creatures, tamed or untamed, shall be regarded as property?

and

?A person guilty of theft shall on conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding seven years.?

It seems to me that regardless of the ethnic origin of these thieves, the law is already pretty robust. Perhaps the problem is one of enforcement, eg convincing the police to take these thefts seriously.

With regard to fish ?theft? from rivers, I believe a change in the law is already in the pipeline, but I fear once again that the problem will be convincing the EA and police to enforce it.

paul martin 7

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying ****y, it should be ANYONE stealing fish...but to me it seems people are fed up of hearing or seeing fish thefts carried out by immigrants and seemingly go unpunished, the reluctancy of the EA to act BECAUSE they may be immigrants.

M

MarkTheSpark

Paul is right; the wording of the petition itself is racist. The notion that only immigrants should be prevented from eating coarse fish says much about the petitioner; if you believe that people taking fish for the pot (pr for bait, or trophies) damages fish stocks in any meaningful way (and I do not), then anyone taking those fish is having the same effect.

The petition is also flawed in that it appears to encompass all freshwater fish, including trout, salmon, grayling, whatever.