Bobbin set ups for chub fishing?any ideas?

Deanos

Reaction score
Na then lads, I hate using the isotopes and quiver tips for late night chub fishing, mainly because it makes me go cross-eyed?and also strike at false bites, and at times see two bloomin tips move about!!!
Can anyone give me some info on how the bobbin set ups work for chub fishing and your thoughts on how this method works against the standard quiver and night light.

Many thanks, Deanos.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've not been able to make the bobbin set up work for chub on the waters I fish. Even with a 3ft drop I've always missed almost all the bites. The biggest problem is that many chub bites come as soon as the lead hits the deck and there isn't time to clip the bobbin on.

When using isotopes on a quiver, have you tried uwing two? I've found you don't have to stare so intently.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

As I'm usually half asleep I normally touch leger at night.

There is something almost magical about being wrapped in a warm two piece with the hood up, only half awake, even in the worst of winter nights.

Or am I becoming an 'old fart':eek:)

Y

yoggy

I rarely fish at night these days. But the rare times I do fish an hour after dusk I use as Matt states 2 isotopes.

I find looking at 2 isotopes isn`t a problem. When the top isotope goes out of line with the bottom one I simply strike.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Pull some extra line from your reel and wrap it around a pie. Hold the pie in your mouth, and when a chub trys to snatch it from you, Strike!

J

However fast the chub bite, I would have any pie eaten long before any chub had chance to take a bait.

I didn't get to my size by NOT eating pies.

The photo to the right is way out of proportion, believe me.

As for using 2 isotopes; $loody hell, we don't all live in the sarf. (that includes South York's, the posh part of Gods own)

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Forget the bobbins and pie method.
Wrap a piece of tin foil around your mainline, just before the first rod ring. You will then hear it as it pulls through the rod ring when you get a bite. For the ultimate in bit detection use the touch ledger method. And don't be frightened of pulling a yard or two off your spool so you can sit comfortably.

J

john conway

Touch ledger method if you can get yourself nice and comfortable. If you have a good quality bait runner just set the tension so that the flow almost takes the line off the reel, however, what ever you do remember to disengage the bait runner before striking or you'll end up spending most of your night session untangling birds nest.

Deanos

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the advice fellas, touch ledger it is then!
But I must say I am drawn to the "snatched pie method" (thank you Baz).
I would go for a pork pie as the pastry is nice and hard, rubarb pie pastry is a little on the short side, but bloody hell rubarb pie is lovley int it!

W

Wolfman Woody

I had a mini pork pie from Asda once. It was terrible, all grease around the bottom of it, so I broke off all the pastry and threw that in then stuck a 2/0s Limerick hook through the meat and chucked that in.

Result! A nice 5lbs chub.

ERGO chub love pork pies - more than Deanos do.

J

"what ever you do remember to disengage the bait runner before striking or you'll end up spending most of your night session untangling birds nest"

I know John, I know!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Woody knows all about it too, ar kid got in a right mess at GV last year.............Woody saved his bacon ;-)

Chevin

Reaction score
Touch ledgering is the only way to go when night fishing for chub or barbel in my opinion. In fact I use to touch ledger whenever possible when I was river fishing. Not only is it a most enjoyable way of detecting bites, it results in far more hits in my experience.

J

john conway

When your touch ledgering for Chub and concentrating like hell on all those little plucks and tweaks, then the rods nearly ripped out of your hands by a Barbel, it doesn't half make you jump.

honslow

Reaction score
Carp rods, 3oz running leads, big hair-rigged boilies, PVA bag of mixed pellets each cast,size 6 hooks and Baitrunners (or pins if you're a tart like me!)!

Never fails. You don't even need to keep your eyes open!

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
what you need is one of these:
rodtipbell18.jpg

just clip onto your rod tip and wait for the tinkle

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I'm with Greg on this one /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Might try it on the Ribble next time round, should manage 30+ fish /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I'm going chubbing this weekend on the ribble i think, so i may try this. Good question Deano's old boy!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Deanos

Reaction score
Chavinder....Those look like"R2DTs" knackers in your picture.....are you having a larff!!!