Baitrunner conversions for shimano BIOMASTER GT 7000

J

Jon Read

hi

i am just wondering were i can get Baitrunner conversions for shimano BIOMASTER GT 7000 from and how much they are?

D

David Will

Jon try The Tackle Box 01322292400 , expect to pay about ?35.00 , however I expect the advice from most on this site would be avoid at all costs if you want any life out of your reels. This is based on bad experiences. Like many I slacken off the drag , it works and there is no danger of ruining the reels.

C

Carp Angler

I'm not sure as I've never used them, but I would imagine that as a front drag reel's clutch tension is created by the pressure of the spool against the drag washers, then the conversions must compress the washers and force the spool away from them.
This would cause untold pressure on the spool pinion and is probably why they knacker reels up quickly and why most people avoid them.

G

Gareth Watkins

Hi Jon,
I have a set of Biomaster GT 8000 and have tried the black Tackle Box type conversion on them. The conversion replaces the clutch knob, and has a metal lever that you lift up to free the spool. However, I don't find it a particular advantage over losening the clutch, on this make of reel.
The clutch on the Shimano' s is only a few clicks from locked up to free running, and thus you'll find it very hard to adjust the bait runner conversion so that it a) gives a free spool on a take and b) is tight enough to play a fish once you've made contact.
I stopped using mine for that reason.
Conversely on the Diawa Emblems, which I also use, the conversion works brilliantly and avoids the endless winding once you've struck, and the old problem of losing the clutch knob.
So I'd say on the Biomasters don't bother they are too much hassle, but on the Emblems with their longer thread they are a great accessory.
cheers
Gareth

C

Cakey

Ive seen two things go wrong with conversions which is why I brought shimano big pit baitrunners.
1. a screaming run turned the conversion therefore tightening the clutch and the rod would of gone in if my mate wasnt on it so quick.
2. Ive seen the centre spigot bend on casting and the excuse from reel maker was the conversion was to heavey .
they said that spigots bend on big pit reels if the spool is not in the right place and thats without the extra wieght.
so I now make sure spool right back before I cast !!!