banned ground bait and bolshie bailiffs

Gerry Hems

Reaction score
Visiting a well known Bolton fishery this week we espied 2 notices saying Swim Stym was banned. On asking the simple question..why? at least four times I got a variety of answers ranging from 'its banned'... 'its banned here',,,, 'we've banned it'...'its banned and thats all you need to know'. I dont use the product and asked out of curiosity. Ah well it was worth the extra 30 mile journey we made to a more amenable venue, after leaving this grumpy old bugger to rue the loss of the ?50 or so we would have spent there on a foul day when the place was nearly empty.On asking the same question at the new venue we received a full and complete answer complete with technical detais,Had a super days fishing and my mate had a P.B.Carp. Well done Pendle.Customer Service will take my money every time

Gerry Hems

Reaction score
It seems that it contains trout pellets which are excesivly oily
and not good (in excess) for coarse waters

MikeW

Reaction score
Swim stim groundbait is actually made from an ornamental carp feed pellet, which is similar to a standard coarse pellet, although it does have slightly more oil, but it is still very low in oil compared to trout, salmon and halibut pellets. There shouldn't be a problem with it anywhere.

Gerry Hems

Reaction score
Thanks for that. It may be an idea for the manufacturers to circulate the various commercial as to this as they are obviously being incorectly represented on this product,which,incidently I was told 'did catch a lot of fish'.Just goes to show that my original question to the bolshie bailiff was justified although I do acknowledge the right of the owners to lay down conditions for their waters they should be open and not evasive as to the reasons so the angler can make an informed decision.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Maybe the bolshie bailiff gets tired of bolshie know it all anglers questioning his decisions.

W

Wolfman Woody

Doesn't matter if he does, Baz. He has to remember that on a commercial fishery, the customer is always the customer and customers = money!

On the "club" fishery, well that's different isn't it? I mean, you can be as rude as you like to members because you already have their money and anyway, the suckers will be back next year however you treat them. And even if they don't rejoin, there's another mug around the next corner.

Gerry Hems

Reaction score
If I was a bolshie know it all angler I wouldnt have asked the question in the first place.It is only by askink the question that one learns and increases your own knowkledge.'Its banned and you you dont need to know is frankly bl***8 rude and as Woody says I am first and formost the customer and as such haver the freedom to spend my money where I am not liable to be treated like a moron.

stikflote

Reaction score
IT seems a bit odd because an awful lot fisheries only allow Swim stim
pellets and groundbait, the Glebe fisherie at leics Roy Marlows place for one ,i asked ROY why only dynamite pellets and groundbait ,he said because they are the only ones i know are suitable for carp,and they are not trout pellets ,becausetrout pellets kill carp they can not digest them,

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Club or day ticket, it makes no difference. The angler is never happy when told something is banned. Usually it goes on to being told how stupid you are, and being asked why something is banned in a bolshie manner.

Yes you are the customer Gerry. And there are rules to be obeyed like it or not.

Clansman .

Reaction score
Quote from BAZ "Yes you are the customer Gerry. And there are rules to be obeyed like it or not."

1. Yes Gerry is the customer
2. Yes rules are there to be obeyed

But what is wrong in asking the question as to WHY a specific bait or tactic is banned and expecting a reasoanble answer, and not just that it is banned.

I know if I asked why and was just told it's banned without an explanation (even a short one) I would not go back to the fishery in question and would take my hard earned cash elsewhere.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Clansman.
I am not saying this was so in this case. But all too often an official or bailiff, call him what you will, will more often than not receive verbal abuse from an angler when he is told certain things are banned. And that maybe the bailiff in question had had more than his fair share for that day, week, month or whatever.

Gerry most probably wasn't the first to question why the bait was banned, and the bailiff had enough of it. Bailiffs are only human you know, some would say different.

But I suppose that is what most of you think bailiffs are there for, to take verbal abuse. And act like some kind of automated answering machine.

Clansman .

Reaction score
Baz

I do not think and am sure that the majority of anglers do not believe that bailiffs are there to be verbally abused. I work in the service industry and have to put up with a lot of bolshie people and their stupid questions. If I answered a question in the manner as explained by Gerry I would be on a disciplinary charge at my place of work.

I have to put a happy face on no matter how pi55ed off I am with the Bolshie Guests and their stupid/bolshie questions.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

So do I Clansman (as a bailiff). But there comes a point where I will say to that same person, if you are not happy then feel free to go elsewhere.
Oh, and your first sentence is very refreshing to hear. I'll spread the good word.

F

Frothey

Stikflote

Is Roy's decision scientific or anecdotal? even then, you can throw all the scientific proof at me, but I am yet to see waters full of carp floating on the top, bloated full of trout pellet........ and trout pellet has been used for 40 odd years now.

if its because of the losses you get in the overstocked match venues, then that doesnt have much to do with oil content, I've walked around places near me that have loose feed restrictions, and you still see dead fish. i'd rather see stillwaters ban fatty meats than oily pellets.....

the fish deaths that get blamed on pellets are usually down to overstocked ponds with low water quality and little in the way of natural food.

This isnt aimed at Roy, but just because someone owns a lake doesnt mean they know anything about fishery management and welfare.

T

The Monk

And that maybe the bailiff in question had had more than his fair share for that day, week, month or whatever.

Gerry most probably wasn't the first to question why the bait was banned, and the bailiff had enough of it. Bailiffs are only human you know, some would say different.

But I suppose that is what most of you think bailiffs are there for, to take verbal abuse. And act like some kind of automated answering machine.

so basically he shouldnt be a bailiff, professional bailiffe and people in other professions treat as people as individuals, if they can no longer do that then they shouldnt really be in that job, a good bailiff is also good a PR and custiomer service, he is a representative for that buisness or club and as such his actions reflect the attitude of that business or club, he is a servant and needs to realise his place. Civility costs nothing but can achieve so much.

F

Fred Bonney

Probably wasn't the first to ask 4 times either!
If somebody asked me a question, and got an answer, and kept asking again and again,I know the response I'd give him.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

All I can say is that over the years I have heard all kinds of Ducks Farts from people supposedly better than myself, preaching from the gospel on how to conduct yourself. When it comes down to it they haven't got a clue themselves.

Nobody has more patience with other people than myself. But at the end of the day, It's My Way Or The Highway.