Rucksack Required

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a rucksack? I'm now on my third in five years and every one so far has just come apart at the seams or had a strap come off.

The latest, a Hutchy job, was probably the worst lasting little more than a few weeks before I was doing running repairs and has fallen to bits in little over a year.

Does anyone make a good, tough but well laid out rucksack?

S

Stewart Bloor

I've been using a Fox 40 litre for short sessions. It's been through a lot of wear but so far has stood the test of time.

J

John Pleasance

Dave,My rucksack is made by Wychwood, only a small one (35 litre)but it is at least five years old if not more,it is getting a bit tatty although still perfectly serviceable.It does get a lot of hard use. I had to make one or two adaptions to it when new and last year I had to replace the two webbing straps that are subject to a lot of wear.The only thing that went wrong early on was the zips at the sides of the top flap stopped working properly but the top clips shut anyway.
I may go for another Wychwood product when replacing it but I would also like to take a look at the Cotswold Aquarius range, they are a bit pricey though.

T

Tony O'dell

I am still using a pair of old Nash ones. Still as good as new, but i have heard the quality of the new Nash gear isnt as high.

B

Birds Nest

I've got a Chub 55 litre rucksack, I can only praise it... Graham reviewed one on site somewhere...

J

Joe Foxall

titan has fetched anew one out, nice size plenty pockets and water proof.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=661>Chub 55 litre Rucksack review</A>

G

Gary Knowles

Dave,

I use the Slam rucksack its quite cheap but VERY well made. What i really like is it is square, rather than rectangular which means it sits upright at the side of you when fishing. A must for rivers. Well stitched, has a built in rain canopy, drawstring top, waist and chest straps, plus all the pockets are padded - the front one takes a fox medium tackle box perfectly so half the time you don't even need to open it. I I've used mine twice a week for over 3 years now, its been drenched, snowed on, etc. and all that happens to it is i leave it my garage p*ss wet through until I next need it. The stiching is still all in place.

In short cant reccomend it highly enough, when it finally gives up the ghost i will be buying another......

R

Rob Brownfield

Forget all the "named" rucksacks, the only one I have every used that is up to years of abuse is the '95 pattern bergen that is issued to the British Army.

It is VERY well built, has a large main compartment that is pretty waterproof, a large top section with internal and external pocket, is about 80 litres, with side pouches this goes up to 120 litres. The pouches can be removed and zipped together to form a day sack (stalking??) or only one can be used.

All in all u get a rucksack that has 5 different combinations available.

Cost???...well, used and in good nick, ?45, brand new, ?90. It comes in plain green or cammo.

P

Paul Thompson

Rob's right. Having used the above I can vouch it will withstand the toughest treatment, and they sit properly on your back. The ones the tackle manufacturers make are next to useless, and considering the prices, they are not good value for money.
The alternative to the 95 pattern bergen, is the SAS/PARA bergen, which is far better than anything you will buy in the tackle shops. I have a para bergen, which is in my shed, and why on earth I ever stopped using it, and switched to a Nash pursuit, I'll never know.
Dave,If you want one to last, get a military issue bergen, the rest do not measure up.

R

Rob Brownfield

I was never keen on the PARA stuff..but I have a "short" back...so the para stuff did not sit correct.

Thats a point, if u do go for any ruck sack...make sure its correct for your back. The british army ones come with two different frames..long and short. If u are under 5 foot 10, get the short back. Many of the "named" ruckers dont have this facility and can do your back serious damage.

S

Shrek

A lot of the camping manufacturers have rucksacks with variable back adjusters. This means that it can accommodate shorter and taller people from one rucksack. I've got a Lowe Alpine 80+20 that is great and fit's brilliantly and is very comfortable to carry long distances, even when full.

This might be worth considering if it is comfort you are after and are carrying a heavy load (But do you then need to address 'Justin's').

Craghoppers have an excellent design for comfort fit.

All the above will range from 25 litres to 100+ litres.

I've seen some predator and carping guys using Berghaus and Karrimor designs and they seem to have no qualms about the not being green and made by Fos, or Nash.

R

Rob Brownfield

Both Karrimor and Berghaus do military spec green rucksacs. The Marines used to be issued with a Berghaus :)

A

Andrew Thomas

I've got the Cotswold Aquarius, ~55l capacity, very well designed, lots of pockets both internal and external and sits flat.

Not cheap but Cotswolds customer service is second to none in my opinion. I had a strap come adrift which they repaired gratis by return and threw in a couple of freebies by way of compensation. They redesigned the carry strap on their 2 rod Roamer quiver, and gave me a replacement free of charge again, after I pointed out a problem in the original design.

P

Paul Kendall

I agree with Rob, I have a 95 Bergen, and it's brilliant - cost me about 70 quid from the Army Surplus store -
www.transworldsurplus.co.uk
The zip off pouches that convert into a day pack are brilliant for stalking - they're also pretty big, about 20 litres each pouch.

C

Chris Bishop

I get old bags, rucksacks etc in the charity shops. Last one cost me ?1.50.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris...I picked up an old bag in a charity shop...by the time I got home she was complaining her anginer was playing up..hehe. I took her back and got a refund!

The yanks seem to have a good idea. They have a basic "frame" that is covered in nylon/canvas etc. Then, they have clear Plano tackle "trays" that they slot in. This means they can add and take away tackle to suit venues. That would be a great idea for the UK, if changed to suit out methods.

C

Chris Bishop

Gerry castles has got something like this.

I don't carry that much gear any more. One of the best things I've got is one of those sets of ?2 tubs that screw into each other - keep all the bits and bobs in your pockets, which does away with tackle boxes, which just tempt to you fill 'em up with loads of leads, floats and daft things you probably use twice a season anyway.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. Gary's seems to be ideal sort for me for wandering down rivers. Where do you get them Gary?

I just don't trust the tackle trade named ones now, the quality on the whole is crap for the money you pay. Why do we put up with it?

P

Paul Williams

Coops,
The Wychwood is perfect for what you discribe.....it also has straps that hold my 82pattern Eustace chair ;) and i can tab for miles!
But the old Troopers are right the forces kit can take some stick......and i have looked at the Slam too and i have to admit it looks good for the price, but if its a smaller one you need the Wychwood takes some beating.