YOUR Questions to the EA

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

YOU asked, and here are the answers from the Environment Agency.

honslow

Reaction score
Told you they wouldn't tell us what nationality they were!
"We don't collect that information"...
Government agencies never collect potentially sensitive information - it's not good for their health!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
'They dont collect that information on nationalities'

Every damn form I fill in these days asks me what ethnic background I am. White British, black British, Irish, Eastern European, Pakistani and on and on.....

What cobblers. What the EA mean to say is not lets throw fuel on the simmering fire by publishing the ethnic background or European country of origin.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Many thanks to the E.A. for their response to the questions asked.

After having read through the answers, I agree 100% in what the replies were. Even in question number 10, How many have been caught committing fishery offences in the past three years? How many of those were British and how many weren't? Personally I think this is a simple matter of not discriminating between nationalities.

On all other points as regards reporting and catching fish thieves, it really is a matter of any officers being available at the time. But it has been said, your reports do go on file, which helps to build a picture of the most affected areas, this really is important.

I have been an N.R.A and an E.A. honorary bailiff, so I suppose that makes it easier for me to understand the way in which matters work.

I have said on a number of occasions that a lawful solution to any problem, no matter how menial the problem is, is not as easy or straight forward as some would assume.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Thanks Graham,

But as i have said all along, the EA are a waste of time and our money.

The masters of BULLSHIT.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Maybe it is the Government who we should be putting questions to? The E.A. is only the messenger.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
One other thing made clear by the EA, there is such a thing as fish theft. The only thing worth them telling us.

Ques, 18, there were 2.6 million who went fishing.

Ques, 19, we sold 1.28 million licences.

So double the amount of people were fishing without a licence then. EA own words not mine.

F

Fred Bonney

Well,you shouldn't be surprised Ray,but I disagree with you!
They do a great job,if we want them to do more,we must find them the funds.
Couldn't agree more with Baz,a lawful solution to any problem, no matter how menial the problem is, is not as easy or straight forward as some would assume.

F

Fred Bonney

There you go then,if they had the money from the dodgers,perhaps it would mean more baliffs.

W

Wolfman Woody

Answers as expected, but there is a conflict in their answer to 17.

"The close season exists to protect fish during the breeding season, and any changes must be based on <u>sound science</u> rather than opinion."

& then -

"We have considered undertaking research but have decided that it would be expensive and possibly inconclusive."

So their decision is <u>NOT</u> based on sound science, but rather on economics. Why not tell the real truth and simply say, they just cannot be bothered until real pressure is put on them.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

"We have considered undertaking research but have decided that it would be expensive and possibly inconclusive."

As I said, not as easy as some would think it is. A great deal of thought and discussion would have gone into this answer.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
At least dialouge has been opened.

I don't have time to fully disassemble the counterspeak at the moment but I am looking forwards to giving this a good read.

Thanks again to FM for being a valuable weapon for angling and anglers rights

Cheers Graham!

M

MarkTheSpark

We have no plans to review it at present. The close season exists to protect fish during the breeding season, and any changes must be based on sound science rather than opinion. We have considered undertaking research but have decided that it would be expensive and possibly inconclusive. Our most recent market research showed that 55% of river coarse anglers favoured a close season, and in view of that we do not feel that expensive R&D is justified

Good news (to me) that more than half of us want a river closed season. That#'s all the research I want to see - power to the people!

Great questions, Graham, and interesting answers. Many thanks

J

john conway

Again many thanks to the E.A. for their response to the questions asked.

T

Terry D

What sound science was used for the introduction of rod licences?

E

Eric Hayes

Graham, thanks for taking the time to get a few answers.

My Question was #8. I'm Happy with that answer, we will have to wait to see if they do make river levels avalible on their web site but like they said "This service operates at BT premium rates (generally 60p per minute). We receive some additional income through this service" So I can't see them rushing to make it avalible for free.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

F. F - all in the kitty.

U. Under financed.

N. Not enough staff.

D. Directives from Government.

I. Inadequate support from Government.

N. Need better legislation from Government.

G. Got to have more money.

Andyw

Reaction score
I think the government needs to invest more money in the EA. They need more resources to combat illegal fishing and those without licenses.

Seem that the available cash will be going on flood defences etc (and rightly so) therefore more is needed to help angling in general.

Does angling recieve any money from The Sports Council or anything like that? Apart from increasing the cost of the rod license, what other ways are there to bring more money in?

Capping matches? Do clubs pay an annual fee to the EA?

Sorry if I sound ignornant. I don't really understand how the system works!! I apologise if I have it all a*se about face!!