River Carp

Carpless

Reaction score
I have my local venue now that i love fishing and spend most of my time at but i like a little variety from time to time. My local river has a portion which is know to be a productive carp fishery, the majority going from mid double to low 20's, not bad considering the quality of carp fishing around by me. What i want to know is how to go about catching them seeing as i've never fished a river before. I assume you can use the same rigs if your fishing with alarms but how does groundbaiting change, if any, taking into account the moving current? Will usual methods/baits work and do they prefer the moving or calm water? Any advice gained from experience would be extremely useful. Cheers

J

Jeff Spiller

Not a Carp man myself Poult, but there one or two people on here that know about Carp, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

MikeW

Reaction score
I don't fish for carp myself, but my local stretch of river where i fish for barbel and chub does have a few in that i've caught to 22lb 6oz. On my river they are nearly always found in the same areas year after year, even after big floods, so location is the key, spend time finding and observing them and pre-bait regularly if you can. Use simple rigs, nothing complicated and don't ignor the margins, especially if there is plenty of cover. They do generaly prefer the slower water or slack water, but I have occasionally caught them in fast water. Hope this helps, I'm sure some of the carpers will give you some more tips.

M

MarkTheSpark

Not claiming any skills of my own, but my mate Gav has had 30s from the Nene. His approach is lots of cheap bait (particles and the like) lobbed on to any gravel or silt area. Carp love the slacks and cut-offs.

Like a lot of carp fishing, it's not necessarily the amount of bait you put in but the regularity; Gav baits a swim for a week at least before fishing, and gets there at dawn, which is when he'll spot any fish.

He hair rigs, but not over-complicated rigs. Rivers are usually fairly snag-free compared to lakes, so you can scale down. As Mike says, location is the key. If you don't see them, they probably aren't there, so move on and bait somewhere else.

Gav also recommends finding out where the match anglers get broken by carp... most tackle dealers can tell you this stuff.

M

MarkTheSpark

I've been trying to track down a transparency I took of Gav with three fish he caught within an hour while I watched; 18lb, 22lb and 26lb, and all from the same swim on semolina boilies with banana angel delight to flavour it! But needless to say, can't find the damn picture.

But I remember the swim well. It was a bank of silt with lilies over it that had built up ver a few seasons. I met up with Gav several times on the bank, and he was almost always fishing silt beds or gravel shallows where there were a lot of reedmace. Dave Phillips had loads (biggest a 28lb common) feeding maples into a blocked ox-bow and fishing, I think, chick peas on the hook. Best (and only) I managed off a swim nearby was 14lb.

The point I am trying to make is that it's not about sophistication, as Big Rik's (excellent) article says. It's about patience, baiting and location.

Carpless

Reaction score
Cheers for the article rik. Definately answered alot of questions. And as you assumed has created a couple more to do with prebaiting. You mention the use of maize as a prebait so it will be my place to start. What i want to know is:

I know you say often but how often? Its not a long drive for me so it's very possible but will just weekends not be enough. In essence how many times a week?

How much should be going in per week?

The specific part of the river i'm going to be fishing is above a weir and is owned by my local club. Its a fairly small stretch of the river but is specifically reccomended for the carp and as such is likely to have been fished before. Should prebaiting be as intense as a part of the river you feel is seldom fished? When I say small stretch i am talking only the length of two football pitches end to end.

I am slightly cursed when it comes to fishing venues down here and the stretches of the river that you can fish for freshwater species runs straight through the heart of a city. The place i'm fishing is fairly secluded but i won't be forgetting the rest of the world is out there. Ah well, at least the fish are there... i hope. Cheers for the help.

M

MarkTheSpark

You don't say where in the UK you are, Poult. Would be handy if you are to get any good tips for alternative river carp venues...

B

Big Rik

Mark, you flatter me .... /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Rik it was very good.

How much pre-bait (kgs?)and how often? And when do you decide the time is right?

My venue is only 10 mins away and I've got loads of frozen maize ready. The carp seem to be on the far bank (for sure, loads of features), boats are a massive problem during the summer and it's no night fishing...../forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Any thoughts please?