Cormorant Petition

Reaction score
I have just invented THE OTTER CANNON.

Simply load with powder, push the otter down the barrel, quickly (and I mean quickly) pack with wadding, take aim at the cormorant of your choice and FIRE! Two birds with one stone so to speak.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I thought their numbers went up naturally , not after they became a protected species in 1981 as this link professes , is that true ? Sheds a whole new light on a lot of things.

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

Will shooting work ? Being a Townie I imagine you shoot one and the rest fly off ?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I thought their numbers went up naturally , not after they became a protected species in 1981 as this link professes , is that true ? Sheds a whole new light on a lot of things.

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

Will shooting work ? Being a Townie I imagine you shoot one and the rest fly off ?

We country folk have ways

48 of us with shot guns - well you can't shoot pheasants till the 12th

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've just come back from my local tackle shop and nobody has bothered to pick up the petition form left there that's full of signatures.
Jerry

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what do you think Paul?

That "Paul" me? If it is, I have long been firmly in favour of a cormorant cull, ever since I saw Tom Williams and his fellow Estate riverkeepers and gamekeepers wage war on them in the late 1960s to mid 1970s on the Avon below Salisbury - the great old riverside tree that had for many years been known by the local villlagers and the estate rods as The Cormorant Tree ceased to be one. A "do-able" cull, cormorants, in my opinion, that will get the result required without seeing Anglers pilloried in the media and bricked on the bank (which they would surely be if they went after the 'O' word).

redfin123

Reaction score
I for one hope it would do some good, there,s to many moaning about cormorants and not enough action. but what action can we take, the first step is petitions which we are already doing, I signed a petition two years ago and nothing ever came of it. So what next, we pay our licence fees every year should the anglian water authority get involved or our mp,s lobby downing street. there are two million anglers in britain and we,ve got to take more action and make it heard or the bloody cormorants will continue to desimate our fisheries. as for me, have shotgun will travel.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Salter almost certainly has that fishery minister Benyon's ear, and, whilst the RSPB will make hideous noises, their counterparts, the British Trust For Ornithology, a much more realistic crew and the True Bird Person's outfit of choice, probably will not. It could happen.

yourinmyswim

Reaction score
I think your spot on there Paul, the AT seem to have a very well considered, measured approach to the cormorant problem. Its very easy to slip into a mind set that non anglers find ridiculous.
In the long term - i think that they will get the issue sorted - especially as Richard Benyon is a land owner and fisherman.