Beginner's advice sought

acbruce

Reaction score
I want to start fishing off locaL harbour walls and piers along the Sussex coast and would welcome advice on the kit I would need to get started.
Many thanks in advance.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
IF you're just starting out sea fishing from coarse fishing then I would look at utilising the gear you may have.

A carp/pike rod is perfectly ok for most harbour and pier work during the coming months, although if you're looking at winter as well then an investment in a beachcaster may well be prudent.

A decent fixed spool (carp/pike sized) reel is the one to match with the rod and i'd load this with 12lb line.

A lot of folks totally overgun themselves when pier/ harbour fishing and miss out on the fun aspect of it.

Most ocassions call for leads less than three ounces and so there's no need for a shockleader or spiked leads. I'd use a two/three hook flapper to start with, with say size 1-2 hooks.

This set up is also ideal for use with a float so negating the need to spend more on gear.The spring summer months will see Bass, Mackerel, Garfish etc coming inshore and catching them on float gear is great fun. You can also stick a lure on the rod which is also fun but please don't start hurling those bloody awful mackerel feathers about with it, it is highly dangerous on piers and harbour walls with public access.

A drop net is a useful bit of kit to carry, when using light gear just in case a really big bass turns up, and one can be made simply with a little thought.

Forgot too say.

Look at fishing down the side of harbour walls and around the legs of the pier, as fish hang around these areas, rather than punching a lead/lure/float as far seawards as you can.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
And don't forget in summer time you will get mullet in your area. These things are generally caught on bread using light float tackle.

Bass by the way, especially a decent one can fight very hard so make sure you have a decent reel with a drag that works.