Long Trotting and the Centrepin Reel

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Keith,

A nice introduction to the wonderful world of Centrepin fishing.

Hopefully, you may have encouraged a few more anglers into trying out what I believe is one of the most satisfying methods of fishing ever.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

A nice article Keith.

I use a centrepin quite a lot, but I am not blind to it's disadvantages, even as a trotting reel. Thelate John Ledger, who was one of the best river float anglers I have ever seen, only used the 'pin on odd occasions. He much preferred trotting with a fixed spool reel, especially when you have to run a float some distance outfrom your own bank.

**** Walker preferredthe fixed spool reel too and I think I am right in saying that Graham Marsden likes to trot most of all with a closed face reel.

And most expert stick float match anglers of my acquaintance used fixed spool and closed faced reels exclusively.

M

Maggot

I think it's a personal thing really, some people can't seem to get on with centrepins.

Long trotting is not a method that match anglers would normally use as theyare limited toone swim, whereas when Long Trotting you are fishing 2 or 3 swims during the trot (sometimes even more).

Most anglers would never even have the occasion to long trot and would therefore never need to use a pin. and if you are just trotting normallywithin the boundaries ofyour own swim you might as well use your fixed spool reel whichI think would usuallybe better.

I think Closed face reels are good for long trotting as they don't have a balearm to clunk over before striking (having one or more pins to pickup the line) and you can control the line release with your finger, but when bait control is needed over long trots I think that the centrepin is slightly better.

Sometimes control of your bait to such a degree is not really necessary and sometimes it is and that's when I think a Centrepin comes into it's own.

Tight lines /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Excellent article Keith! As you know i was asking questions about using one of these a few week back, i think i should invest in one and give it a go /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Excellent point about inertia and looking for one with a lighter spool rather than one that just spins freely.

To me, it's horses for courses. It's not that I dislike a centrepin for trotting, and I prefer one when trotting for bigger fish. I prefer a closed face for smaller fish.

R

Quite right Graham. I remember being in a tackle shop in Hampshire some years ago where a couple of anglers were comparing centrepin reels by spinning them and timing how long they would spin. The comments they made came from people who obviously were not engineers.

I wanted to take them to task about the comment they made, but decided against it as it transpired that they wereboth accountants, and you don't get much logic through to these sorts of people.

/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Of course one disadvantage with a pin for long trotting is the speed of retrieve.I recall Terry Lampard commenting that when he was fishing for the odd bite from big Stour chub on the float, that by using a fixed spool overa pin, he got in 50% more trots per day due to the faster retrieve.More trots = more bites.

Keith,slighlty off thread, buthave you ever tried braid for long trotting.I know the old North Country grayling fishers used it as it allowed them to set hooks at the end of 60/70 yard trots they would make.I was considering trying it this winter for the same purpose.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i guess I'm a bit of a centre-pin geek ,not satisfied with just owning and using them.I have to know all about them,mind you I'm just as passionate about my closed faced reels.and will fish with both having a rod made up with centre-pin and another with one of my closed faced reels.I guess it's the simplicity of using them no moody bail-arms to bother with etc .OK casting a centre-pin can be awkward at first , but once learnt it's ok & no harder than learning any new method.

centre-pins are more about pleasure than efficiency .if i was in a match then it'd be my closedfaced reels that would be my first choice ,otherwise i'd have a go with my centre-pins.

M

Maggot

Nigel, I havent tried braid for long trotting, I might give it a go as well this winter.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Trisantona

Reaction score
Been dabbling with braid on the Trent ,floats well and is easy to see on the water,just use longer hooklengths to give a bit of give..../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

captain carrott

Reaction score
I think Closed face reels are good for long trotting as they don't have a balearm to clunk over before striking,

This comment proves you don't know how to use a fixed spool to trot with

(having one or more pins to pickup the line) and you can control the line release with your finger,

again i refer you to the comment i made above.

but when bait control is needed over long trots I think that the centrepin is slightly better.

which would lead to you making this entirelyincorrect conclusion!

as i pointed out in a previous thread the length of the trot and the control achieved depends not on the reeel but on the skills of the person controling it, what has been proven irrefutably is that if equally skilled proponents of both arts are pitched against each other the fixed spool angler will win becuase the the center pin has far more limitations than a fixed spool.

i would only evry use the pin with a wind which is from behind and if i was fishing close in, then they can be a joy to use but beyond these very limited set of circumstances you can spend more time compensating for the rteel than you do fishing effectively.

a good fixed spool angler can knock the bail armon with the knuckle of the index finger as they stop the line on the lip of the spool with the same finger while striking.in one very smooth movement.

peter bowman 2

Reaction score
I enjoyed your article Keith. I intend using the centrepin for trotting for grayling in the winter. Are you going to do a further article on the technique of long trotting?

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Cough Splutter!!!

Went on the site and thought I recognise that hand and reel!!!!! Sure enough it was me!

Just a quick correction the Wallis cast will allow you to cast considerably more than one to three rod lengths out as quoted in the article, 30 yards is quite achievable.

If anyone wishes to learn how to do this very simple but effective cast just e-mail me via this site and as ever I will help.

Another small point for those who wish to buy their first pin I would heartily recommend the Okuma Adventa pro I have no connections with the company but own a couple of these reels and they are all you will need.

Balance your tackle to the fish you intend to catch and the baits you intend to use, don't be afraid to follow the advice of the late and great Billy Lane and use a float big enough to 'Boss the Flow' you need to be able to control the whole process to fish effectively.

A common error is using gear that is too light.

The final tip for tonight is to use Flurocarbon for your hook length it does make a difference and allows you to use a heavier hook length and essential when trotting for barbel.

R

That business of "bossing the flow" is vital if you are trotting a big fast river like the Trent or the Hampshire Avon. I like to use a float that will grip the current under these circumstances. Dont be afraid to use a float that will take a heavy load of shot.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Another common error is calling the Nottingham cast the Wallis cast./forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

R

And Bernard Venables description of the Wallis Cast in his Crabtree strip was absolute bullsh*t. This is where I think many people confused the two casts.

The accuracy you can achieve using the Nottingham cast is phenominal under short distances.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Guys do you have to use a certain rod to use a centre pin?/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

captain carrott

Reaction score
you are a maggot aren't you.

prove my comments wrong.

the reason the maggot won't is because it knows they are correct and it does not have the intelectual ability to do so.

neither does it have the inteligence to convey the truth aboput the centerpin. therefore it produces what is in the end a very biased viewpoint of the so called advantages of the center pin.

in a rather uninspiring and very limited not to mention rather unoriginal article.